MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Registered

304 Stainless

Will 304 stainless work for knife material? I've priced 440 stainless, it's a little too costly for my amateur knife making. Any feed back on this matter would be appreciated.

Last edited by Axle; 01-22-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Living Legend

304 is not a "Martensitic stainless steel". It won't harden via heat treating. Sorry, not good for anything except maybe a clamdigger. I personally don't even like it for guard material.

Last edited by fitzo; 01-22-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Sader
Thumbs down 304 S/S

Axle, Mike is right about the 304, another thing is if you start with something like 1084 or 1095 carbon you can do your own heat treat if you are careful. I enjoy knowing that I've done my own and can control things myself. 1084 is also cheaper than 440 I think. Man I wish I had time to do some knives. This havin to work for a livin aint fun!!! Good Luck!! Mike Sader
Old 01-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Living Legend

Hey, Mike, long time, no hear. Hope all is going well despite what sounds like an overload of "working for a living". Take care; come by Paltalk for a chat sometime when ya get a moment. Love to here if ya ever got that press finished.... or, where yer welding adventures have taken you these past months.

Axle, check out Admiral Steel in Chicago if nowhere else for 1080 carbon steel. About as cheap as bladesteel can get, and makes a great blade when HT'd properly. An excellent steel to start on the cheap....

http://www.admiralsteel.com/products/blades.html
Old 01-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Sader
304 S/S

Mike F., It has been a while, I don't want to steal Axles thread but I couldn't find the knifemakers chat room in the misc. area. Did I forget somethin?:confused: No press yet either,got most of the parts but no time . Hope to talk to ya'll a little later when I can remember how to get back into paltalk, Later, Mike Sader
Old 01-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Living Legend

300-series stainless steels have high chrome, high nickel contents. I think the best example is 303 stainless, (The other grades are 301, 303, 304, 316.) which I believe is also known as 18-8 cutlery grade stainless. That means 18% Chrome and 8% nickel with nary enough carbon to make it hardenable. Cutlery ??? well they are referring to forks and spoons and yes, pots and pans. This stuff is very tough and will seem like it is good strong steel, but aside from maybe a "clamdigger" - actually have no idea what that is, I'm thinking maybe a tin opener or small prybar for the kitchen.

If you made a knife out of this steel, you will be cursing, for sure. Firstly, because of the high nickel contenet is seems like it cannot be ground. The abrasive belts just slide over the steel !!

Then if you manage to get an edge formed, it will bend and flop over when you cut. You will end up with a letter opener or steak knife in no time !!

For blades you need the good stuff, otherwise its no point. 440C I suppose is the "starting point" in many ways - price and workability in a stainless steel for knifemakers. If you are interested, you'll find that the carbon steels are significantly cheaper to start with and you can stock remove the bnars if you aren't interested in forging.

Just some thoughts. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 01-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Hall of Famer

welcome to ckdf, axle. do yourself a favor and check out the newbies forum. this is probably one of the most-asked questions there. you will find all sorts of suggestions.

Old 01-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Skilled

304 grinds just fine, polishes very well, just cannot be hardened.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives