MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-17-2002, 08:59 PM
Steel Addict

1084 users!

For those of you who use 1084 (the steel I just recently decided to work with mostly) where do you get your stock?

The reason I'm asking is that Admiral Steel has apparently gone to a substitute for 1084, namely 1080. The differences are minimal
but I wondered if any of you were aware of this and had decided to purchase your 1084 elsewhere or if any of you had decided to use the 1080 (on Admiral's website it looks like they are still billing it as 1084 but the carbon content shows .80).

Check out this thread at Bladeforums:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...teel+1080+1084

What do you think?

Old 12-18-2002, 03:45 AM

Guy,
I buy my 1084 and 1080 from Pacific Tool Steel in Portland Or.
I have used both and have gotten great results from both. The main difference between the two will be in maganese content, 1084 being higher in content. Maganese helps in deeper and more thorough hardening but in knife blade cross sections there wont be that dramatic of a difference. Also 1084 is held to somewhat tighter composition tolerances at the mill, so theres supposed to be less variance from mill run to mill run. However I have always had the same results from 1080.
I usually buy whichever they have in stock

Old 12-18-2002, 03:50 AM

After looking at Admiral specs on 1080 They seem to be slightly different than the specs I have on it. Seems there isnt any difference in the maganese content of their stock. I dont think you will notice much difference if any between their 1084 and 1080 at all.

Old 12-18-2002, 05:30 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Tom, that's what I was beginning to think also. Especially since carbon content seems to vary quite a bit from batch to batch on these steels anyway, ranging from .70 up to .90 from what I understand. I've heard good things about Pacific's steel, however, shipping costs are bad enough just from Admiral on this side of the continent. I shudder to think what they'd be from Oregon acroos country to Tallahassee, Florida!

Old 12-19-2002, 03:43 AM

Guy,
One more thing I do every time I order a new batch of steel is to request a spec sheet on that batch. I do it to keep suppliers honest and by knowing exactly what I am getting I can feel confident in my end products.

Old 01-03-2003, 06:24 AM
Hall of Famer

Tom, Each time I've called Pacific they don't call it 1084 anymore its called its new name 1084/1095. I guess that way they cover all the bases and only have to get one for two. I've been getting my hawk steel from there also that is 1080, actually called there yesterday for some prices. I've been using 3/4 and 7/8 square 1080 and wanted a price on 1" square which is the largest they stock. I was wondering if anyone would know who might carry something like 3/4 X 1 1/4" material. The more I've been into making the more I'm surprized at how tuff it is to find the steel that your wanting, it ain't like going to a lumber yard.........

Tags
blade, knife