MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Skilled

Question "Sunray"wheels for belt grinder

I did a search, and found some posts about "Sunray" rubber covered wheels dated back in 2006. Has anybody tried them since this was posted? The price at the time was worth looking into! Also,, I have always used smooth rubber wheels for my grinding,, what,,, if any,, benefit is there to the "serrated" style wheel, or what is the purpose for the serrations?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Skilled

I have 2 of the sunray wheels a 4" & 5" both are very well made and run true. good wheels for the money.
Stan

Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 AM

Got one--good wheels!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I purchased a couple of sets for the Caffrey Platens, and have had a set on my own platen for about three weeks now. So far I've been pleased with them. They are far less expensive than rubber contact wheels. They can be had in any durometer (hardness) from 50 to 90. (I've been purchasing the 70 durometer, which is the same hardness as standard rubber contact wheels)

Sunray is a small company, that specializes in small quantities/special orders. They have a $50 minimum order. Be ready to wait for a little bit....when I ordered yesterday, the wait time was 4+ weeks.

OK, now to the smooth versus serrated..... Smooth wheels provide a smoother cut/finish, but do not remove material as quickly. Serrated wheels remove material quicker, but leave a coarser finish than the same grit on a smooth wheel.
I have a 6" serrated, 100 durometer urethane wheel on my surface grinder, and also use an 8" serrated wheel on my profile grinder.

Serrated wheels also create more vibration and can sometimes be difficult for beginning grinders to control. My advice is that if you already are somewhat accomplished at grinding, and are able to control most everything you do freehand, it would be OK to get yourself a serrated wheel.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Steel Addict

Serated Wheels

Serated Wheels Are Supposed To Make The Belt Run Cooler.

Lynn Drury
Old 08-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Skilled

I have and 8" wheel from sunray on my grinder and it seems to be just as good as any other wheel. I have read over the months that quit a few people on the forums have been using them and I don't think any one has had a complaint about them that I have seen. Thanks, Shane
Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 PM

When I bought my 12" from Rob, he told me that serrated wheels are going the way of the kookoo bird, because modern belt technology has rendered them all but obsolete. I learned on a serrated with cheap belts. Now that I have smooth wheels and premium belts, I prefer them.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 08-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Skilled

Cool WOW! Great info!!

Thanks guys for all the great info! I learned something today!!! Glad to hear the wheels work good for the money too. That has always been the worst part of building a belt grinder, the high cost of the wheels!! Ed, your platen and wheels have really caught my interest!!--Jon

Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Living Legend

Thanks for mentioning Sunray. I had completely forgotten about them and I am ready to get an 8" wheel. $76 versus $250 for a Bader is huge difference.

http://www.sunray-inc.com/detailwheels.aspx?ID=528

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 08-27-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Skilled

Question Size of wheels?

Dear Ed,, I'm finally getting serious about the next belt grinder, I have the frame and chassis all done, motor (2 hp) bought too. I want to use your rotating style of platen design, what size rollers have you found to work the best? I have a drive roller, just need to buy the contact wheels. I want to make some kind of "small roller attachment" to make finger grooves and maybe to work the finger guards. What size do you recommend? Thanks! --Jon