MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-27-2001, 08:45 AM
Cyrus Chan

15N20 question

Hi Ed,
I always thought that I have to get 15N20 from the US till I was told that it is actually Swedish steel. I did some research and found a company not to far from where I am living which does produce sawblades of all dimensions from 15N20. They told me that they would give me endpieces.
My question: How thick should I choose them? 1/16 or thicker? Does the thickness determine what kind of patterns I can make? Is 1084 the best steel to go with or could I also go for 1095? How does it weld( will it oxidise much)

Hope you and the other folks can help me

All the best

Cyrus
Old 11-27-2001, 10:44 AM
davebolton

15N20 and 1095 are the steels that I use. They reveal very well and are ecxellent blade steels. I find that all the 10xx series of steel to be great in the forge and for welding. As far as 1095 being any better or worse than 1084 to weld I don't know (I doubt that there is a large dif.).
As for the pattern it is a matter of relative thickness; that and how it is worked that will give it its particulair pattern. So it rather depends on the thickness of the 1095 stock and how you want it to appear, keep in mind that the 15N20 will resist the etch. It saves time to start with the most layers and reduces oxidation, hence the thinner the stock the better.

Old 11-27-2001, 10:54 AM
JossDelage

What's the difference between 15N20 and L6? I've always heard 15N20 described as "the Swedish L6"...

Thanks,

JD
Old 11-27-2001, 11:01 PM
Ed Caffrey

15N20.....

Cyrus..... I keep two different thicknesses of 15N20 in the shop. .050, and .080.
Where the thickness comes into play is because of the nickel content in 15N20. Nickel is very compression resistant, and when you mix 1/8" thick 1084 with .050 15N20, at about 250-300 layers, the layers are the same thickness. If I make something where I want the bright layers to show up vividly, I use the .080 thick stuff, so that the 15n20 layers are thicker when done.

The big difference between L-6 and 15n20 is that 15n20 is MUCH cleaner (and there are a few element content differences), I suppose you could call 15N20 "super high grade" L-6, and wouldn't be too far off the mark.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:20 AM
Cyrus Chan

Re: 15N20.....

Thanks a lo' guys!!!!!

Cyrus

Tags
blade, forge, knife