MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Skilled

Yet another question about annealing a file?

I've searched through several threads on annealing files already, and I've yet to find the answers I'm looking for, so I'm going to ask them here.

1. What is the approximate annealing temperature for an average file? I know it's suppose to be heated to "non-magnetic", but what does this look like numbers wise?

1000 degrees? 1200? 1500? more? less?

2. In lieu of ash, sand, and/or vermiculite, what if I just leave the file in my electric kiln and let it cool naturally in there? would that still cool it too quickly?

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Skilled

It would probably be best just left in the oven, but first, I would suggest you go to blade forums and look up a sticky by Kevin Cashen on spheroidizing anealling hypereutectoid steels.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...prune=14&f=741
Look at working the three steel types.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
My suggestion would be to take to non magnetic and bury in lime. If you are using a kiln type set up, Id look up the critical temp for 1095 and start there. Leaving it in the kiln with the power off might work, but may still cool too quickly, dont know how slow it has to cool.

God Bless
Mike

Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Skilled

The standard typical anneal if used on hypereutectoid steel will still leave the steel in a state that can resist a drill bit. This is because in a standard anneal when the steel cools the carbon forms tough layers. In a spheroidized anneal, the carbon forms into tiny spheres which allow easy cutting or drilling, and the steel is as soft as it can get, and is faster to do. No long wait for cooling.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE
The standard typical anneal if used on hypereutectoid steel will still leave the steel in a state that can resist a drill bit. This is because in a standard anneal when the steel cools the carbon forms tough layers. In a spheroidized anneal, the carbon forms into tiny spheres which allow easy cutting or drilling, and the steel is as soft as it can get, and is faster to do. No long wait for cooling.
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I very well could be....

but isn't a spherodized anneal where you heat the blade above critical temperature and let is soak there for a LONGER period than a typical anneal? Also, is the the cooling process supposed to be the same?

Last edited by ARCustomKnives; 11-04-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Skilled

You are correct. I misspoke. Spheroidizing annealing requires a controlled cool down in programed steps. I thought it was faster with simple steels, but apparently it is not. Still though, it is the only way to anneal a hypereutectoid steel to it's softest condition that is easy on cutting tools.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Skilled

If your kiln has a controler heat to 1450 let fall to 1200 then cool 25 deg per hour to 600 deg then air cool to ambiant.
Stan

Tags
blade, knife