MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast

Adding Serrations to Hardened Steel

I'm new to this forum and knifemaking. I am an experienced woodworker and a good friend has whetted my appetite to try to make a knife. I purchased a finished blade made from 440V. With the handle design I'm working on, I think the knife will be enhanced with some serrations on the top of the blade just in front of the scales. Is is reasonable to try to grind these with a small wheel on a Dremel tool on this hard steel? Any other methods? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Bill

Just my opinion here, but if you will use a triangle file you will have much more control than a dremel. Many folks do it with a dremel, but I would highly suggest you try it on some other steel first, to get the feel for it. Nothing like botching a finished blade with the slip of a power tool! (dont ask me how I know!!)

Also, if you are wanting a thumb stop/grip, you might look at a checkering file, Uncle Al's sells them as do Brownell's, the one I have is 20 teeth per inch, cuts grooves perfectly aligned, and depth. The are kinda pricey ($20 or so) but make the finished product look very profesionally done. And it helps take the "OOPS!" factor away.

God Bless and Good Luck!
Mike

Old 07-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Living Legend

The very first time I put saw teeth or serations on blade I used a triangle file and they turned out perfect. I first did a couple practice notches on some scrap. The file cost's $4.95 and worked great. Everyone was convinced I milled them and did not believe me that I did them by hand.

You will be surprised how easy it is compared to other bladesmith skills.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Skilled

However, you said "finished blade" which means hardened to me. The file or the dremel will not work like you want with a hard blade. You might anneal it but my guess is to save that for another time with another blade. You could mill the top if you wanted but that is about the best way to have control and good results with a hardened blade.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, the finished blade is hardened. I tried a small triangle file on the inside of one of the pin holes and barely marked it. I also tried a small stone with my Dremel. Could probably be done but would take a long time and I agree the results may not be worth the effort. Thanks for the tips, I'll try again when I make a blade from unhardened steel.

Tags
blade, forge, knife