MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

New 2" X 72" grinder build in progress...

Hello everyone. I've been a member here for some time, but haven't posted in a very long time. I am currently building my first 2" X 72" belt grinder(s) based on the Moby-Dick belt grinder posted on YouTube. I've decided to go with this style of belt grinder to save on available space in my shop. Flat grinds will be the majority of the work performed so I will be using an "anchor" on the floor to prevent the grinder from moving backwards or tipping.

I decided to take photos of the proccess after I had already began the work on the grinders, so please forgive the photos beginning in the middle of the build. The grinders will be going out for powder coating after completion, so there will be some "smoothing" of surfaces before that takes place.

Motor base.

Tracking wheel mounts yet to be installed on the swivel mount.

Coming along...

Tooling arm locking lever mounted.

Began installing the wheels last night. The swivel casters would not work with my application so I fabricated new mounts for the wheels. I should mention these wheels have a 1/4" ID bronze bushing installed in the wheel, making them perfect for this application.

Welded in place.

More photos coming very soon...

I plan on fabricating and installing the tracking wheel swivel mounts this evening. I don't yet have my mind made up on how I want to mount the tension spring, but this will be the next task after mounting the tracking wheel assembly.

Once the grinder is assembled and functional I should have a great many questions to ask as I begin my journey into knife making. I am interested in making liner lock folders and have been using blades from Elishewitz, Emerson and Lightfoot for many years. I find their talent very inspiring and wish to follow this same style, as well as add my own designs and concepts to my work.

Thank you for looking and thank you to all who have added their own grinder build stories and photos to inspire me to build my own and begin my own journey. If anyone has any questions or comments, please fire away!

Connor

Last edited by Connor; 06-15-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Tags
belt, belts, blade, blades, build, case, edge, folding knife, forge, grinder, grinding, heat, knife, knife making, knives, make, motor, pocket, pocket knife, products, project, sanding, stone, vfd, wheels