MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast

Fitting Scales on a tapered Tang

Hey guys, I am posting this for my father-in-law who is doing a kit knife we got him from Lone Star knife supply.

The kit consists of a full, tapered tang blade with a slotted guard that fits with a pin. He got some Box Elder scales to place on this blade but when he test fits the guard we found that the taper goes all the way up to it so the wood wont fit flush up against it.

Mabye I am just having a brain fart at the moment, but for the life of me I cant firgure out how to get that fixed since I cannot dovetail the guard. If we put the scale up flush with the guard there is a gap along the back end of the tang that goes almost 1/2 way up its entire length.

Suggestions or comments on how to rectify this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

"A good friend is someone you can call to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend would be sitting next to you saying how did we get into this
s#$%!!"
Old 03-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Master

You can sand the inside of the scales thinner at the top so they sit more flush, this is what I do...

Take some lipstick and smear it all over one side of the tang, then put the scale against the tang, holding it tight at the top and pressing lightly along the rest of the length. Now sand off the parts of the scale that have lipstick on it, repeat until the fit is satisfactory.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Quote:
If we put the scale up flush with the guard there is a gap along the back end of the tang that goes almost 1/2 way up its entire length
Is that because you had to lift the scale away from the tang in order to get the square face of the scale to meet the square face of the guard?

If so, then just sand the end of the scale at an angle until the scale can lay against the tang and still meet the guard's face with a flush fit. If this process makes the scale too short, then either get some longer scales or insert some spacer material between the scale and the guard ......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-17-2004, 07:15 PM
Skilled

Quote:
just sand the end of the scale at an angle
Yupp-o that's the ticket.

If you have a disk sander, set the table just below 90 degrees. Probably 88. Put a scale face up on there and sand a new edge on it. If that doesn't fit, change the angle on the table down some more. Pretty soon you'll get the proper angle. Now do the other scale, I'm sure the angle is going to be the same.

Hope this makes sense!

Steve

Old 03-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Steel Addict

Ues a scrap piece of wood to find the angle, then do the scales.

Old 03-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Steel Addict

The scales do not mate flush with guard(?)

Angle the face of scale (that fits up against guard). You can do this with a sander or by hand using a file(s) and sanding block.

RL

Tags
blade, knife