MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Steel Addict

You can take the man out of knifemaking...

But not the knifemaking out of the man....

It's been such a long time since I picked up my tools I was worried I would have trouble getting back into it. So I entered a simple little KITH over here in the UK to make a Kiridashi and came up with this.

A small piece of red deer antler, brass and 5mm thick CRV 80, a spring steel.

Then I made a small game hunter for a friend of mine, I liked it so much I made this.
It's a full tang flat ground drop point. Steel is 3mm thick 01. Hardened and differentially tempered. The scales are stabilised black cherry burr with black vulcanised fibre. The OAL is 175mm or 7 inches and the blade is 70mm or 2 3/4 inches. The sheath is made from 3mm veg tanned leather dyed a nice mid brown with a subtle striped finish.

Now I am really starting to get the feel of the tools back so I made a tapered tang by hand and it came out nice. OAL 185mm or 7 1/4 inches, Blade length 82mm or 3 1/4 inches. Steel is EN9 3.8mm thick, with a hard satin finish followed by a light buffing in Homage to Jason Cutter. Tang tapers to 1.25 mm. The blade is flat ground. Handle is Mexican Bocote with Brick Red vulcanised fibre liners, brass pins with a Danish Oil finish.

Now I have made this as a give away in a forum competition, another small game hunter.
3mm thick 01 ground flat stock hardened and differentially tempered full tang and flat ground. OAL 7 inches or 176mm, blade length 3 inches or 76mm. Vine filework along the spine. Cocobolo handles and black vulcanised fibre liners with brass pins, lanyard tube and one mosaic pin for bling.

And just for the hell of it as I have never made a Tanto or Worked with bone I made this.
3.8 mm thick EN9 full tang hardened and differentially tempered with a chisel grind. OAL is 7 1/4 inches or 184mm, blade length 3 3/8 inch or 86mm. Bone handles with black vulcanised fibre liners and brass pins. Still needs the blade polish finishing and some touch up work on the handles.

I love making small knives and I have loved making these, I hope to be turning out many more in the months and years to come.

Thanks for looking.

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid - Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall But iron - cold iron is master of them all. Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Enthusiast

John, apparently the old adage about bicycles is also true about knifemaking. You never forget. Those are some very very beautiful knives. Looking forward to seeing much more.

I just hope mine turn out half as nice as yours.

Lee

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Skilled

WOW John!! All are very nice. I realy like bocote it is one of my favorites. They are all beautiful knives. Shane
Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Skilled

Lee's right John, you haven't forgotten a thing about the craft. And I swear I think I can see your confidence returning in your designs with each piece. Very cool. Thanks for posting them that way.

Oh, and thanks for converting some of that mm stuff for us yanks. I'm an old dog and I'm just not converting now. ;~)

Welcome back. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

chiger,
Old 08-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast

John, after looking at those knives for like the 100th time, I hope you don't mind me making a copy of your knife stand. Thats a great way to display your knives for photos.

Thanks

Lee

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaknives
WOW John!! All are very nice. I realy like bocote it is one of my favorites. They are all beautiful knives. Shane
I like it very much, I also like the Cocobolo but the dust does terrible things to my eyes and throat. I will definitely be using Bocote again, especially if I can get it tight grained like this piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiger
Oh, and thanks for converting some of that mm stuff for us yanks. I'm an old dog and I'm just not converting now. ;~)
I know what you mean, I am used to feet & inches but had to work in metric when I was working it the aerospace industry as a tool & cutter grinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma
John, after looking at those knives for like the 100th time, I hope you don't mind me making a copy of your knife stand. Thats a great way to display your knives for photos.
Not at all, I had to come up with something as the knives always moved just at the critical moment.

I must take it to bits and polish the base a bit more, it's looking a bit drab.

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid - Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall But iron - cold iron is master of them all. Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives