MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

View Poll Results: Would you like to see discussion on more than just sheath making
YES 33 97.06%
NO 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2004, 08:31 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Olddog--don't believe that myth that old dogs can't learn new tricks. I can not see that anyone would be out of line in their quest to learn more skills in leather craft. Leather has carried knives for thousands of years and is unseparable to this day. One does not question the artistic embellishment that is often used on knives such as engraving, carving, scrimshaw, lost wax casting and others. Non of the afore mentioned are as important as the ability and necessity of safely carrying that embellished knife. The artistic embellishment of leather is in it self as ancient as the ability to fashion a blade. As a moderator on this forum, you can be assured that I will not shake a finger at you for asking questions falling into this category. --Sandy--

Old 02-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to olddog
Thanks for those kind words Sandy,ive always respected all here,in the forums,for there forthcommings,and truth, i sent you a message and still dont now what those things are.. LloydK.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:01 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Lloyd, I received your PM on webtv rather than on my computer so I see nothing---sorry I can not anwer your question---Sandy

Old 02-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well looks like the interest is there and I REALLY was hoping that Sandy would help out - the thing is this IS NOT and WILL NOT be some kind of exclusive "club" so I want ANYBODY with something to offer to chime in - Sandy and I may have more time in than most, but we DO NOT know it all and as he said even the oldest of us dawgs ( he is from Georgia after all and is the oldest of us all as well) can learn new tricks.

Some of the items being batted about here may be more than can be handled in this format but when so I will steer folks to any books available on the subject - many of which are available at your local library (mine for instance has a couple on Leather Craft that I had never seen or even heard of before in 40+ years) or via interlibrary loan - another vast source for info is of course the Internet - but like most things on the net the quality of the info varies from excellent to downright dangerous.

And finally the main impetus of this forum was and always will be about knife sheaths, but there is so much more about leather that is wonderful and with an open mind can always be used to increase ones skills for making sheaths.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:50 AM

I think it is a good idea. Sheaths come in many forms, not only belt wear. A few years ago, my son and I went to Europe. For the occasion, I forged a couple of small knives with bottle openers in them. Not wanting to carry them in belt sheaths, I devised a neck pouch with a fold over snap flap. The pouch was square, and had slots for papers, ID, Passport, etc., with a small sheath in the back for the knife. It would have been nice to have some of the knowledge Chuck and Sandy have before attempting it. I got the project done, but it was a chore. The leather aspect of knifemaking is a BIG one. Creative carry is an aspect we all could use. Thanks for the offer to share with us.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Master

Leather zipper pouches like Chuck
mentioned would be a great start

Something i have thought about,
but havne seen yet..
Which doesnt mean anything

Old 02-16-2004, 11:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ladybug
Hi Guys,
Great idea... branching out. There are so many questions i have for doing all sorts of work in leather. I have learned so much reading this forum, looking at others work is also very helpful. I plan to attend cowboy action shoots this summer and have been ask by several to make leather goods for them. One is pushing me to make a gunbelt.. Man could i use a tutorial on making those blasted little loops.... I'm in the process of making matching holsters, one being a cross draw. So you see, much of what you crafters and professionals post and show has be a great help.
Thanks to All
Ladybug
Old 02-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Master

Ladybug

Have you checked out some
of Al Stohlmans books?

Old 02-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to olddog
Quote:
The action you have attempted could not be performed as your session appears to be invalid. Click the below link to attempt this action again with a new session.
Hi,this the words that pop up when i try to vote.. LloydK.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I plan to attend cowboy action shoots this summer and have been ask by several to make leather goods for them. One is pushing me to make a gunbelt.. Man could i use a tutorial on making those blasted little loops.... I'm in the process of making matching holsters, one being a cross draw.
For anybody who is interested in Old West Cowboy gear I HIGHLY recommend the new pattern packs from Tandy?LF by Will Ghormley - Will is a master at old west gear.

They are:
Cheyenne Holster Pattern Pack #6015-03
Cartridge Belts Pattern Pack #6015-04 (shows how to make loops both sewn and laced-my preferred method - we hates sewing loops we does )
Cowboy Cuffs Pattern Pack #6015-02 (Hellforged/Mathew - aka Bracers)

Lloyd - try logging off CKD completely and then clearing your computers cache and cookies - then log back on. Sounds like a cookie problem to me.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:32 PM

Re: Leather Crafting - Pushing The Envelope

Quote:
Originally posted by Wild Rose
After a talk with Sandy a while back and then some recent posts about doing things other than sheaths, I decided to run this poll on how many or even if anybody would be interested in things leather other than just sheaths?
For instance I often make a matching belt to go with a sheath - so would belt making be of interest, and so on....................

This Poll will run for the next 7 days.
I keep getting an error message when I try to vote, But I say Yes. My knifemaking has me trying out leathercrafting. I had done a few projects in high school over 20 years ago. You learn and improve by practicing. As long as I am buying leather I might as well do something more than a 2 or 3 knife sheaths every other month. I think if we can share our expierences on other projects we can all learn and make better knife sheaths. Most of the skills I use in knifemaking I aquired elsewhere. Sheathmaking is no different.

I have been lookng for a leathercraft forum on the net and all I have found is Yahoo groups.
Yahoo is PATHETIC you get a full page advertisement when you click a post and the text of the post is run down the left side in a column of text 7 or 8 letters wide. When you click to read responses you get an ad and a link to go to the the responses.

I am interested in tooing and molding leather. I want to embellish my leather work using some of the skills I aquired in art school. My knives are simple designs with minimal ornamentation and I think a tooled sheath is a nice contrast.

Drew

Old 02-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Steel Addict

Thanx for the info WildRose. I'll look into him.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Well by the in interest shown here "pushing the envelope" is definitely in the cards.

I have a had a VERY Loooooong and lousy week, but I do have a post in mind re: belts which I think are the perfect companion to a nice sheath.

Anyway I want ya'll to think about what you'd like to see/learn and we'll go from there - any one with something to offer in the way of expanding our leather craft horizons is not only welcome but encouraged - I can't do it all myself that's for sure.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 03-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

Love to see it. I am interested in traditional Indian leather work, and clothing in particular.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ladybug
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help you all provide us with..
Just wondering if there is an update on "Pushing the envelope" or if i have missed something.. I don't usually log in, just pop in to read what's been happening... I live an upside life.. so when i look in most of you are sound asleep... Thanks again... Ladybug

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knives