MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:15 PM

Thanks all. Ray it took me a second to figure out what you were talking about, got it now. I'm from the "live free or die" state so I'm curious, is anything legal in CA? I see the warnings everywhere. I'm a big fly fishermen, it's actually what I do for a living. That bottle is some cement I use to finish of the flies I tie. Like I said, I am old school. I hunt with flintlocks and I don't have a cellphone. Obviously a tablet though.

Dan
Old 03-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

As far as I can tell there's very little that is legal in CA except the things that probably shouldn't be. I only lived there for 5 years but that was enough. I was born here in WA and, sorry to say, it's only marginally better than CA when it comes to the law...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Guru

ok forum being funny again 3rd time trying to post....

So the pic the handles look good me personally I would of rounded the front over but I know you said you wanted them square. Remember build your knives for function and YOUR taste and everything else will follow

Ok so in the background of that pic the label "this product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer....ect...." Ok so I have seen this warning be fore so whats the deal is the rest of the world that stupid and hasn't figured out this stuff is dangerous? Or is it only dangerous in California iam in NY can I drink it as long as I am not in California? I know I could probilly be thinking about much more productive things but EVERYTIME I see this thethought comes to mind "is California really smarter than the rest of us" Personally I thought it was the other way around. Am I the only one that wonders about this

Rusty rat ....this is the help all and much better than other forums. We don't have those couple guys that are incredibly rude and jump down your throat if you make a mistake like other forums do. I would just sugest before you do any big builds or buy equipment talk to us. This forum has saved me much time and money and head aches by showing me the right way to do things. We all made these mistakes so you don't have to.....I still continue to make these mistakes tho I am stuborn lol. Just a example you said you were going to build a brick forge, You would be MUCH better off making a round one from stovepipe and inswool. Ray has a excellent video for sale that tells you exactly how to make a proper forge and burner...I forget the price butits cheap especially for the amount of info in it. Just trying to save you some headache, and I know your not there yet just saying most of us are here to help when we can
Old 03-05-2017, 06:47 PM

Angry

Well, I think I'm done with this 1st project. I got my Renaissance Wax and have applied about 7 or 8 coats. I rounded the front so hopefully no more chips. I de-oiled the scales a couple times with Acetone, heated the scales with a hairdryer and applied the wax. When buffing, I noticed the scales slightly shrunk and barely left the metal proud.

Doug, thanks for the info. When the snow goes I will try my hand at making my own blades, but now I am just handling someone elses. I have a few more blanks coming. In the background I have Snake wood, Ironwood, Thuraya burl, and Maple burl. I believe all are stabilizedoing except maybe the Snake wood. Do you all have any tips working with these woods?

Dan
Old 03-05-2017, 06:51 PM

Ok, here is the picture. Sorry the website or my tablet seems to be acting funny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg done.jpg (335.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Send the Snakewood out to be stabilized if it's not already. It's prone to checking.

Doug

Old 03-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Guru

I don't work with wood all that much when I do its stabilized. I did a couple pieces early on that weren't like cocobolo, stabilized is eser to work with and finish, From the pic they all LOOK stabilized but the one all the way on the left may not be, It doesn't seem to have the shine that most stabilized pieces do

Tags
advice, art, blade, bolster, edge, finish, gun, handle, heat gun, how to, knife, kydex, leather, leather sheath, made, material, newbie, problem, rat, rosewood, scale, scales, sheath, wax, wood