MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:15 PM

Thumbs up

Got my knife from John Wylie today (Vegas Henchman). Excellent knife and excellent sheath. A heirloom knife that would last in use for 100 years or more. See his pics on page 19.

John has a coyote stamped on the back of the sheath, with his initials JW. Could this be the Wylie Coyote of roadrunner fame?

Do I see the influence of Chuck Burrows in the sheath? Great custom fit to knife, form fitted, won't fall out when inverted. Hand sewn and tooled, hardened too.

Best Regards,
Slo cat
Old 06-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to John T Wylie Jr
there is allot of Chuck in that sheath , I think the 1st I made after watching the video , and yes after being called " Wylie Coyote " all my life I ran with it

Glad it made it fine.

yup hand sewn , tooled and hardened , all of which I learned either here or thru Chucks video.

Thanks for the kind words and please let me know your dislikes/likes with it. And if it gives you any trouble or the sheath don't hold up , let me know and I will make it right , that is one of my first 5 leather sheaths

Old 06-10-2006, 08:25 PM

I received my new knife from Ron (Mungo Park) today! I am very happy with this score!

I like to make a close examination of each KITH knife I get and learn a new technique or style or feature that I can incorporate into my own designs. With this knife, it is the finish on the handle! WOW! The epoxy finish is better than glass! I have never seen a knife that finish that smooth or glossy! It looks like the epoxy is still dripping wet!

The blade is pretty sharp too! I could shave with the rear third of the edge and the rest still slices paper quick and smooth with no snags! The hammer finish on the steel is cool--It's my first knife with that feature. It is in sharp contrast with the 'show-room' handle finish, but the more I look at it the more I like the unique look it adds to the overall package.

The sheath is excellent! Tooled, stitched, and hardened with a great fit. It's a left-handed draw with a nice, sleek design.

The package is super cool and a hell of a job for the man's second knife!

Thanks Ron!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 06-10-2006, 08:33 PM

I also got the KITH knife I sent to Brett back from the Australian authorities today (it was wierd to get packages from Australia and Canada at the same time). I am currenty making him a replacement which hopefully won't create another international incident!

That tactical push dagger will go up for sale in about 5 minutes in the 'For Sale by Maker' section. I'm going on vacation in two weeks, so it'll be priced for a quick sale!

Hang in there Brett! It's coming!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 06-10-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:47 AM

Wow! I just discovered that this thread has surpassed such legendary discussions as The "Toast Cutter" and "Ultimate Adheasive" threads in the number of posts. Tai Goo's "Feast Your Eyes" thread is still the longest that I am aware of since I discovered the forums.

However, the "Toast Cutter" is still way out front in number of people who have viewed it with over 19,000!

Just some useless trivia for your Sunday morning!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 06-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Skilled

im glad to hear you got it back safely andrew, i asked them to let me know when it was sent but of coarse they never did. i was actually planning on calling them. i sent out darrins knife the other day that he will hopfully be happy with, except for one major slip up. its duller than a $2 pocket knife! i forgot to sharpen it. what an idiot.

brett
Old 06-13-2006, 12:44 AM

That's hillarious! Do I detect an "Unsharpened KITH" in the future? How 'bout a "Spoon in the hat"

Don't sweat it mate. I'll bet he knows how to sharpen!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 PM

Well not exactly? LOL. I did the same thing. But I try'd, I just don't do a neet job at it.
the knife I sent bill only had the two inches on the end sharp some what! I make new knives look like old knives reel fast when I sharpen them. I just read a post on the out post forum the other day that made me work at it. Now I have a small craft knife I made,sharp enough to cut hair off my arm. I think all the knive in the kitchen will be subjected to my learning curve now. So don't worry bret I am a victim of my own spoon
factory! LOL. Bill will get a good chuckle from this.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Skilled

It may be closer to 1 1/2 inches

I just thought maybe I could mash things with it!! It's actually a new unique patentable multi faceted method of sharpening that will enable the user to perform superb cutting no matter which way the knife is tilted.

Bill
Old 06-14-2006, 01:39 AM

Maybe an edge can be measured in grit!

Say, a 60 grit edge for very narrow grinding tasks!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 06-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Still waiting on Mike Ferrara's contact info

Old 07-18-2006, 01:37 AM

Did everyone get there contacts worked out and get the trades taken care of?

www.kansasknives.org

Old 11-29-2015, 06:19 AM

It's like paying , what 30.00(shipping) for a hand made knife , Awesome. I agree put everyone in the same pool/pot. Is there a theme or anything special to do?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:49 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

This thread is about 9 years old. We are currently finishing up the Bowie KITH in the Newbies Forum:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...033#post483033

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
awesome, balisong, blade, bowie, butterfly knife, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hand, hand made, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, made, post, show