MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast

Grizzly Platen Attachment

I'm a new knife maker and I purchased the Grizzly as my entry grinder. I've been having a heck of a time getting a consistent grind line, not to mention the plunge cut. So, I decided to make one that more looked like those that I've seen others use. Initial results are very positive! The belt doesn't move near as much as it did before. I'm very pleased with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GrizzlyPlatenAttachment.jpg (267.3 KB, 83 views)
Old 05-13-2016, 04:12 PM
Steel Addict

I've thought about doing the same plans for my grizzly. If you have the plans/material list for it that would be awesome. It looks great in the picture
Old 05-14-2016, 12:27 AM
Enthusiast

Well, I don't have any detailed plans. I just modeled it in Sketchup using a model of the grinder someone else had done and uploaded into the 3D warehouse on the Sketchup website. The platen itself is a steel backing and glass face I purchased from Knifegrinderparts.com. I also purchased the wheels. As for the rest, it's scrap steel I cut, welded, and tapped to fit, and wala, new platen attachment!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:45 PM

grizzly platen attachment

I would like to see plans for that also. It's nice looking and looks like you could fit it to different grinders.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:37 PM

I did nothing that nice, but I did cut a piece of granite tile to size and epoxied it to the furnished platen and it is much better that what it came with.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Using epoxy alone to put glass (or granite) on a Grizzly platen is risky at best and can be very dangerous. My glass platen got warm enough to soften the glue and then it slid down onto the wheel where it turned into a glass grenade. By the grace of God I had turned around to get something from a table behind me when a few hundred glass fragments were flung in a big circle embedding themselves in both walls, ceiling, and floor but not in me. Ever since then, whenever the subject of glass platens comes up I always recommend putting a metal foot on the end of your platen to prevent the glass from sliding off if it should come loose. You might want to give that some serious consideration ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast

When I was first investigating how I could modify the platen on my Grizzly, I came across Ray's advise in another thread. I took this to heart while searching and found the platen I used at knifegrinderparts.com (I'm not affiliated in any way with them - only providing info). It has a ledge on the steel that is used to support the glass. And I JB welded the glass to the steel.

By the way, as a helpful tip, when you screw whatever you're using for brackets to the platen, attach them BEFORE you weld the glass! I did it after and ended up screwing too far and breaking the glass. It's a good thing two panes were sent with the order.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:41 PM

I used JB weld also for the granite. It has higher temp resistance. since the granite is thicker it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as with thinner material.

Tags
awesome, bee, belt, epoxy, glue, grinder, knife, material, metal, new knife maker, screw, steel, weld, wheels