MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 07-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Skilled

On the road again..selling Randall knives to my friends

My fellow Randall knife freaks,
The intro into this thread sure sounds like a Willie Nelson song. I will be traveling throughout the Southeast for the next several days. My Randalls are in and I have several stops to make in Florida, Georgia, and, of course, Bama (roll Tide, roll!). I will leave ya'll with a couple of threads and ideas to ponder over while I am gone.
First of all, I would like to know from all of you that wish to share your whereaboutssome of the following: Let me know your city and state in which you reside. Tell us all a little about yourself, without giving out your exact location, social security number, driver's ####### number, and mother's maiden name.
I am interested in seing what ya'll do for a living, etc. Tell us, along with Randall knives, what your passion and hobbies are. If you do not care to participate, we will all understand. Those of you that do, however, will understand some more things about each other. Things like: How come the Captain is able to scoot about the country, hunt, fish, play golf, and basically "goof off" about 90% of the time? How come "Moosehead" has so much spare time on his hands and basically "just ain't right"? How come Seussbrother has a literary name and can still act so childish at his extreme years? How can "Crimson Tide" maintain a steady hand on his keyboard, after looking at Bama's past and upcoming football season? Why does JC Clark take up with the serpeants and yet we never see a photo of him with his collar on backwards? Why is Rob Kelly still in Australia? You know, the burning questions..America wants to know!
Seiously: A couple of paragraphs, per member would be interesting. I'll start off by saying that the answer to your questions about me are: location--Kenansville, Florida on Lake Marian, just about an hour south of the Randall shop and 45 miles north of the northern end of Lake Okeechobee. job description--Largest "authorized" Randall knife dealer in the south--Guide service, consisting of hunting and fishing services and sales of collateral equipment. That's what me 2 occupational #######s say, but basically that translates to: A broke ol' Florida "Cracker" that tries to justify his leisure time by calling it hard work. It also allows me to legally and justifiably loose money on various boats, 4 wheelers, 4 wheel drive vehicles, guns, and of course knives!
O.K. Now it's your turn! Keep it going. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 07-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Steel Addict

Capn' allow me to be the first to get this thread going if you will. I reside in a section of NW O-town affectionately known as "crime-free", lived in this part since 1979, keep moving further NW but I'm tired of running! Very active in my church, I'm the music director for the children's ministry, 3rd grade SS teacher, and PT fill-in for the children's Pastor when he's away. My main passions are MY FAMILY, children's ministry, then, RMK's, automatic pocketknives (w/ p-clips), I have a " few" watches, and the WORLD CHAMPION-BOSTON REDSOX , not neccessarily in that order! Been at RMK since I was 19 and was referred to a "Boy" till Jason started full-time. Became RMK's supervisor, foreman, head-peon, whichever you choose to refer to me as in 2000. I've enjoyed these 20 plus years more than anyone has the right to! Just starting to become computer literate after bucking the system for too long. And there is NO truth to the rumor I still own MC hammer pants!!!

Looking forward to hearing some lurid details of the fellow "poster boys"!, (and girls if'n thar are any).-----------------DW
Old 07-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Steel Addict

I?ll follow in here??

I live in Greensboro, NC with my best friend Joan Hilner. Both our kids are grown so we have a lot of quiet time which is a good thing.

I work in the steel industry. We don?t make it, but we mutilate it in every way possible. Our core customers are heavy equipment manufacturers (Cat, Deere, Ingersoll Rand) as well as mom and pop shops. I get to play with a lot of really large machine tools?.. laser, CNC machining centers, plasma cutting, presses and such.

Hobbies?.. whitewater boating, cycling, photography, RMK?s, and all the chores around the house. And of course taking care of those I care about.

Perfect job?? the one I had 25 years ago?.. as a raft guide on the New and Gauley Rivers in West Virginia. What a great job?? of course the pay sucked.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Skilled

....I was born in Montana but spent most my growing up years in central Florida. I joined the army in 1972 to go to flight school and Vietnam. Luckily for me we got out of VN while I was still in flight school. I spent almost 21 years flying army helicoptors. Most of that time was in CH-47 Chinooks. I got into Chinooks early enough that I got flight time in A Models baby C Models, full C Models and Special Ops C Models and D Models. Chinooks are impressive lifting machines. I greatly miss flying them. Chinook assignments take you all over the place. I spent a lot of time flying for the Rangers stationed here at Hunter AAF. My third one year tour in Korea I was the army aviation liaison to the ROK Special Forces. I got combat time in Panama during Just Cause supporting the 82nd Airborne Division and was a flight leader during the Desert Storm invasion of Iraq supporting the 101st Division. I eventually tired of being away from home and retired in 1993. I then went back to college and got a BS in nursing. I have worked for the last 10 years in a level one trauma center/county hospital here in Savannah. The last 8 years I have been working parttime at night on the orthopedics floor. We get plenty of drunks, drug addicts and criminals on my floor. You probably cannot think of a stupid accident that I have not heard about firsthand. I have been married to Karen for 34 years and we have two married daughters and one granddaughter. My interests include the outdoors and natural history, hiking, kayaking, boats, NASCAR, Gator football, guns and cowboy action shooting, muscle cars and reptiles. I have been catching, keeping and/or breeding snakes most of the last 41 years. I own the largest and most diverse breeding collection of Rainbow Boas on earth. I used to be very seriously into saltwater fishing. I fished offshore with my dad and younger brother in Florida and later had my own boat here in Savannah during the 1980s. I hold one Georgia state saltwater record for an 88 pound Cobia. I got my first Randall, a model 14 in 1977 but have only been seriously collecting them for 2 and a half years. I am a gadget freak and appreciate well made tools and machinery.
Jeff
Old 07-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Skilled

Seussbrother

Unlike the Cap, I don't even pretend to work any more. I've been collecting knives for almost fifty years and have , for the most part, collected old folders except for my weakness for Randalls which began in '69. If I'd invested all of my money in Randalls over the years, I'd now be a very well off ol' codger and maybe could afford a boat or at least a canoe. Been married to my high school sweetheart for almost 42 years, have two sons, two granddaughters, and two grandsons. I tinker with my old cars when not cutting grass and actually drive them on pretty long trips. A 1,500 mile trip in a 70+ year old car on two-lane roads is a good way to see the country up close and personal. Central Kentucky is my home base and yeah, I tawk funny. I would love to visit "the shop" someday and just sit and watch the artists at work. I was a tool & die maker for eight years before someone decided I belonged in engineering and that was fun until someone decided that I should manage engineers instead of working as one. Felt like I went from sitting on top of the world as a toolmaker to having the world sitting on me. Now that's defined as progress?

Seussbrother
Old 07-04-2005, 06:21 PM

About me

Hi all!

Well, for a guy with supposedly so much time on his hands, it's taken me several days to find an opportunity to write this. Despite having been retired from the education field for awhile, I still find that there are not enough hours in the day to do what I want, or have to do.

I love nature, and being outdoors. Living in a semi-rural area of Quebec, I have plenty of opportunities to enjoy all four seasons in a more or less natural environment. Cycling and cross-country skiing are my favourite activities, but walking, talking, hiking and snowshoeing are great alternatives.

I'm also involved with a local environmental group, which is trying to fight the constant battle against urban sprawl.

My wife and I love animals, especially cats, and we presently have three adopted stray cats who now live as spoilt house pets, along with our two pedigreed American Shorthairs. This fondness for felines seems to have rubbed off on our two sons and daughter-in-law, who also share their respective apartments with four kitties. (No grandchildren yet.)

I love listening to music of all kinds. I grew up with the Beatles, Dylan and the Stones, but my tastes are eclectic. Besides Rock n' Roll, I like almost everything from classical to country.

I do enjoy taking photographs, and my camera is always at the ready.

Of course, I can not leave out my relatively new passion for the world of Randall Made Knives. A goodly portion of my pleasure collecting these wonderful cutting tools stems from the great people I have met both on-line and in person who are all associated with these knives.

My parents taught me three basic tenets which form the foundation of my approach to life. I try to live each day as if it were going to be my last, and make the most of whatever I'm doing. I try to treat every person in exactly the same manner in which I would like myself. And I try to let compassion, generosity and sympathy always overrule any feelings of anger, envy and bitterness.

So this looks after my daytime existence as a "mild mannered collector of RMK..." However, after the lights go out....."It's a knife? It's a sheath? It's..."

Best regards

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 07-04-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Hi ya'll!

This is my first post so what better way than to introduce myself here, I guess.

I live in Oxford, AL, about 7 miles from Talladega Motor Speedway. I have worked within sight of the Speedway for 12 years at the Harley-Davidson Test Facility, first as a test rider and the last six years as a lab worker, dealing with PLCs and pneumatic controls. Before that, I was in the Air Force for 12 years, working in an E2 position in a Command Post. I was stationed in the Philippines, UK and Okinawa. Oh yeah, also the foreign country of Southern California.

I have a daughter that is 17 and another child on its way, to be delivered in Feb of next year. One to leave the nest, one on its way in. I have bought an occasional knife from RMK through the years but the real bug only hit the last couple of years. I have a fondness for baseball (Go Braves and Tigers!) and attend a few motorcycle rallys a year, usually in Panama City, Georgia and North Carolina.

I look forward to talking with everyone.

Take care.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 07-23-2005, 07:49 PM

Welcome, Gary!

Hi Gary!

Welcome to the Knife Network! It's great to see you here, and I know we all look forward to your future participation.

Please check out The Captain's "Buildin' a Randall Camp Knife" threads on this forum and you'll have a chance to buy the knife we all build together at the catalogue price, thanks to said Captain.

Cheers!

David

Old 07-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Skilled

Gary,
....Welcome to the other forum. I like your Reagan quote.
Jeff
Old 07-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Steel Addict

Gary,

Welcome to the forum. It's nice to have you on board.

Wayne

Old 07-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Captain"
My fellow Randall knife freaks,
{snip}
First of all, I would like to know from all of you that wish to share your whereaboutssome of the following: Let me know your city and state in which you reside. Tell us all a little about yourself, without giving out your exact location, social security number, driver's ####### number, and mother's maiden name.
I am interested in seing what ya'll do for a living, etc. Tell us, along with Randall knives, what your passion and hobbies are. {snip}
I live in a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale, about half way between the beach and the Everglades. Been here for 7 years after living in SoCal, AZ and a few other western states.

I've been married to the same lady for 21+ years and we have 2 kids aged 4 & 1 .

Professionally, I'm an operations manager for a Fortune 500 company and feel fortunate to be doing what I am and working with the people I do - hard to imagine a better place to be.

Between the kids, job and everyday responsibilities, there's not the time anymore for much else. Other than RMKs and knives in general, about the only other interests I would call hobbies are auto racing (open wheel rules!) and national politics.

Last edited by azgator; 09-07-2005 at 10:35 PM. Reason: correct my miserable spelling and syntax
Old 07-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to RedElk
I am a writer/radio journalist by trade employed the past 10 years by various factions of the vast right-wing conspiracy. My current slot has me also working as a policy analyst dealing with the military and the Federal Communications Commission.

I'm widowed, no kids, just two dogs and a cat.

For fun I commute from home in central Virginia to work in Washington D.C. No joke, I have to love it since I have an hour and a half ride each way every day. Not "loving" it would cause untold emotional distress. The commute means a house vs. an apartment. I also enjoy fishing, target shooting, and troop support (letters and care packages.) Another major hobby is my annual Christmas light display. (I ran about 100 amps last year from Thanksgiving until New Years) I'm already at work on pieces for this year, since I start stringing the house and trees right after Halloween.)

As for Randalls, I'm a new collector -- a year and a half -- and I buy them the way most women buy shoes:
Oh, those are cute!
What a great price!
This is really comfortable; I'll get one in every color!
So and so has these, I want them too!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Steel Addict

Thought it would be a good idea to bring this back considering the recent "growth spurt" of The Knife Network Forums. Let's get a little personal!---------------DW----------------- :cool:
Old 09-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Guys! Let me just say thanks so much for those who emailed me about coming over here. You guys are great and I am excited to learn more about RMK's from all of you.

I am currently a broke seminary student in Ft. Worth, TX. I did own 2 Randalls until a few months ago when I had to sell both of them to pay tuition. Now I am looking to buy another since deer season is fast approaching and I have been saving my pennies!

My hobbies (besides Randall collecting) include deer and duck hunting, fishing, and scuba diving. I am expecting to graduate from seminary in May 2006 and then serve 2 years overseas as a missionary. I already have my RMK 5 Club knife paid for and I drew #122. If my math is correct, I should have it by March-April, just in time for it to accompany me in my missionary journies.

Thanks again for everything!

Keith
Old 09-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Skilled

Keith,
As one of 'em that emailed ya', welcome! I think you'll find it more civil here. Thanks for posting up. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Tags
knife, knives, switchblade