MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Living Legend

Food photo tips

While hanging around a foum on cheese (long story) and they had some recommondations on shooting food. They had a link to a amateur food photographer's tips. I thought you guy might find them interesting.

http://veganyumyum.com/2008/09/food-...-for-bloggers/

They also had a link to a $10 photo box. It would still be about the same price as Coop's box when you add the lights. It is a smaller than the last one I tried to build. I wanted to get your guy's opinions on it.

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/200...to-studio.html

Thx,
Jim

Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks Jimbo! That cheapo lightbox has been around for years. Its usefulness is testimony to its endurance.

The food tutorial is RIGHT ON! Really smart descriptions and he explained things clearly for newbies and pros.

Good stuff!

BTW, I watch TV and read advertising as much as the next guy. I am ALWAYS watching the lighting and setups that advertisers use. Some are outstanding, and other times I can find flaws (not that I could do better, but I can see improvement).

Food, lighting, and ambience: The Olive Garden commercials on TV are tops in this field. They always make me interested and hungry! (It's the steam.... )

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Skilled

Sharp I remember once I was watching a program on photographing some of the foods for TV and most of the time they do not even use real food. The best illiustration I can remember was they used soap foam to make the bubbles in a cup of hot chocolate. The guy on the program said that they do things like that all of the time to make the food look more appealing and real.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast

During the 80's I worked on the Pathmark (NY, NJ, CT) rotogravure newspaper supplement.
As well as the Xtra Super Foods (Florida) rotogravure newspaper supplement.

The photographer and food stylist prided themselves on shooting food that was edible.
Besides the feast after the beauty shots were taken were worth the work.
This doesn't mean that they were always above smearing a cooked turkey with vaseline to make it shine or using mashed potato instead of ice cream for a TV shoot (the ice cream kept melting).
Interestingly, the photos for those were shot same size as they'd appear in the printed piece.
That saved a bundle of $ in the cost of the color separations.
It also meant that we had to work backwards from the size of the printed piece.
Layout the page, then make an acetate mask that would be put on the large format camera. Then the shot was composed to fit the alloted area.
This made for some interesting set ups...
25 - 30 products side by side on a table, in a big loft... ladders... many lights and reflectors...
It is all so much easier now :laugh:

Sorry I ramble...
Just wanted to say that while there is a fair amount of 'cheating' going on, you can be sure there is a lot of good food being cooked as well.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Master

I had to chime in this one. I worked for quite a while in the R&D facility of a national Australian themed steakhouse chain (guess which one). Anyway all of the photoshoots were done at our facility and I must say - you've never seen anything until you seen one of these shoots! It's absolutely incredible! The tallow (lard) ice cream was my favorite. If anyone ever has an opportunity to see one of these jump on it! In case anyone is interested ours were generally done in natural light (plenty of that in FL) on the loading docs.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi

Tags
a, amateur, home, interesting, photography, tips