MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 11-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Skilled

Randall Folder

OK. Check this one out. Is it legit?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181931635205?_mwBanner=1

Last edited by samg; 11-16-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Skilled

Here is another unusual. I believe this may be in Hunts book. Not home to verify.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171998179374?_mwBanner=1

Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 PM

Hi Sam!

The seller of these knives is the daughter of longtime authorized RMK dealer and collector Jack Crider who died in September.

So based on this I would say the knives are most likely legitimate.

I can say with 100% assurance that the starting bids are overly optimistic.

Cheers!

David

Old 11-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Skilled

Hi David. Good to know. It's good to see these super rare Randall's surface from time to time. Not under the circumstances of a collector passing though.
We will see how it goes. Hopefully she had counsel from someone about value.
Thanks, Sam
Old 11-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Skilled

Yes they are legit.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:27 PM
Skilled

Thanks Ta2bill. They are very nice, rare Randalls.

Regards, Sam
Old 11-19-2015, 09:17 AM

I was sorry to hear of Jack's passing. The liner lock folder may indeed be as advertised however I would want to talk with Scott or Jason at the shop to verify this. Jack Crider had an enviable collection including unique and unusual Randall knives. A large portion of which were offered for sale in Rhett's, now famous, "Green Catalog". Though most of the offerings were legitimate there were several knives who's authenticity was questionable and others that were found to be counterfeit.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Skilled

Good points Rick. The write up on the offering note that the blade was Randall-supplied, but the knife was made outside the shop as a prototype. It notes that it was "authorized" by Gary Randall as a possible future offering, but that did not work out. No indication why it didn't work out, or what "authorized" means. Oddly the offering says that several were made with different handle scales (?), yet this is a one-of-a-kind.

It would be nice to see some documentation, letters, notes that confirm this story. I have no particular reason to doubt the account related in the sale document and the write-ups says that there is a model on display at the Randall museum. But I'm reminded by the old saw... "buy the knife, not the story" ...

Last edited by Jacknola; 11-19-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:21 AM

The liner lock folders are fake. Though the above knife has been withdrawn, there are more out there so caveat emptor. In this case the story is true but the knife is not the folder that the story references. If you give it a little thought, the (real) knife was conceived and the prototypes crafted in the 1970's when CNC cutting, Titanium, liner locks and hex head screws were rarely if ever used.

Here's the story followed by the authentic prototype folder.
"The blade was Randall-supplied, but the knife was made outside the shop as a prototype. It notes that it was "authorized" by Gary Randall as a possible future offering, but that did not work out."

Now here are the fakes folders. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that there is or was a fake Randall trademark stamp floating around.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Skilled

Rick, thanks so much for being an outstanding advocate for "real" Randalls, and for getting to the bottom of it.
I am glad that she pulled it.
I assume the stickers on the knives are catalog references for their personal collections?
You would think Mr Crider would have known it was fake, unless he did, and just thought it cool for his collection. If the price were right, I would have bought it too as a fake.
Thanks again Rick. You are the only one on either forum to sound the alarm to the community. Jack, as usual, suspect of it, and looking for further info.
Thanks guys

Regards, Samg

Last edited by samg; 11-20-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg View Post
You would think Mr Crider would have known it was fake
Jack Crider was a savvy collector, I'm certain he knew the legitimacy if not the lineage of those folders. However, his daughter and son-in-law may not have known. Once they found out, they pulled it.... at least that's what I choose to believe.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBowles
ce they found out, they pulled it.... at least that's what I choose to believe.
They definitely did the right thing, and I appreciate that, because the established collectors and dealers are the cornerstone for the collectors community.
I'm sure it's a real challenge for them to go thru all of this, with the added burden of loosing their father. Hopefully they have an advocate knowledgeable about Randall's and their value, as an advisor.

Regards, Samg
Old 11-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast

There's a post on the 'other' forum by Capt Chris S. that this and several others were made outside the shop and hence were not true Randall made offerings.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:58 AM
Skilled

It's true that they were made "outside" of the Randall shop, with the blessing of Gary Randall. Unfortunately, they were not up to his specifications. There are a couple of these folders in the Randall museum. The museum is FULL of knives that were "never made".....
Old 11-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Skilled

It's really too bad that Randall never got into the folder business, it would be a great pocket carry.

Tags
bee, blade, book, buy, choose, chris, cnc, collector, folder, for sale, home, knife, knives, liner lock, lock, made, pocket, post, randall, rare, sale, shop, surface