MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 12-14-2015, 08:12 PM

A real first run Randall miniature

I thought I'd share this, not only because it's an ultra rare Randall but it's also 100% authentic. First run Randall minis are among the most desirable of Randall collectable's. Because of this, first run miniatures are the most counterfeited Randall on the planet. It's been said the 11 out of 10 first run Randall minis are counterfeit!

For several years in the early to mid-1980's I would get a miniature Randall from my (ex) wife for Christmas. I would request what mini I wanted and ultimately I ended up paying for them. I bought the small tooth at a local show and sent it to the shop to be used on a mini model #1. I hoped that the shop would cut up the tooth and make a proportionately sized handle. Instead the tooth simply got mounted on the mini.
In the early 1990's I sold my miniatures to get my first boat (could I BE any dumber?!) I recently had the opportunity re-acquire this one-off, first issue Randall miniature.

Though this mini model #1 is legitimate the caveat is worth repeating, these are exceedingly rare and most...MOST are not genuine. The mini model #1 below is shown with the new Copper Mini #27 for comparison.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Skilled

It would have been a shame if the shop cut that tooth up to make a "standard" handle shape.....
Old 12-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Skilled

That is an interesting looking knife Rick and I like to tooth handle. I've not been exposed much to minis. What approximately are the dimensions of the ... say ... knife blade, just for reference? Yours appears to have a separate "S".. is that right? Also, do the fake minis have a passable Randall stamp?

I think Gaddes said that Gary Randall himself began making the minis in the 1960s. Is that correct as far as you know? Thanks, regards, Jack
Old 12-16-2015, 09:04 AM
Skilled

The newer Model 1 mini

In comparison to a Model 1-6" blade.

Last edited by Ta2bill; 02-05-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Skilled

size

It may be time to buy new ruler.......lol

Last edited by Ta2bill; 02-05-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:38 PM

All Randall miniatures (1st. and 2nd. gen.) carry a stainless blade though not all 1st. gen. are marked with the "S". The fakes are generally made from existing Randall knives like the model #2-4" or the model #10-3 so the stamp is indeed real.

In 1965 Gary Randall personally made a miniature of each Randall model as part of his knife making apprenticeship. This began what would be known as "first run" Randall miniatures. Gary's original miniatures were mounted together and are on prominent display in the new Randall Museum.

The most "common" and most popular of these early minis is the model #18. There are no production records but the consensus is between 100 and 150 mini #18's were made. There are probably less than a dozen of each of the remaining models in first run miniatures.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:52 PM
Skilled

Thanks Rick for the info on the miniatures.
Looks like the shop position is not to educate collectors about the particulars of how to distinguish fakes. If they are not willing to help us determine what may make a Randall fake, I for one will stay away from them. Perhaps the shop maintains that position to encourage the use of "official Randall authenticators"?

Curious, does the shop provide authentication services?

By the way Rick...heck of a nice $20 Gold Certificate!!

Thanks, Samg

Last edited by samg; 12-16-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 PM

Illuminating, on the net, the subtle nuances that can distinguish a fake mini from a real one only serves to educate the counterfeiters. You should question EVERY first run mini. I would question the one above had it not been made for me, with my ivory.

After the passing of Pete Hamilton and Perry Miller, Joe Dorsky has assumed the position of providing authentication services for Randall knives. You can get his contact info at the shop 1-407-855-8075.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:27 PM
Skilled

Great stuff Rick, thanks. And the set of Mimi's, never seen that posted before. While these are not exactly in my collecting genre, they are beautiful and part of the lore that makes Randall.

One reason I am interested is because of their time period in the 1960s. Could you share when this particular knife blade was made? I keep trying to sharpen the estimated date of the changeover to this "type 3" blade stamp, currently estimated to be early 1966. Documented knives are not that common from that period. Thanks for sharing

Last edited by Jacknola; 12-16-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Jack,

When the shop was considering making miniatures in 1965-1966 they forged quite a few miniature blades in several models and put them in the bin. My mini model #1 was made for me in the early 1980's but I'm sure the blade was forged back in the 1960's.
Here are some of those blades that were "liberated" from the shop some time ago. I don't know by whom and it doesn't matter now.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you Rick for illuminating the shop reasons for not educating the forgers...

Bad shop!!....how dare we not provide the collectors this info....Bad!!
Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Rick do you know if the shop ever made a Mini Mod. 17?
Ronnie
Old 12-18-2015, 01:08 PM

Ronnie,

I've never seen one (other than the paperweights) but it's so unique I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:10 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Thank you Rick....would love to have one.
Ronnie

Tags
bee, blade, buy, chris, christmas, common, forged, handle, how to, ivory, knife, knife blade, knife making, knives, made, make, making, randall, rare, reference, shop, show, small, stainless