MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Skilled

1st Molded Handle - WIP

Hello everyone,

I was playing around with my paring knife and thought to myself, "why can't I make a
molded handle? Kitchen knives don't have to be full tang..."

I was in the foundry business for about 5 years and very familiar with casting, molding,
cope, drag, cores, etc. I looked everywhere on the forums and net to see how others,
if any, put together molded handles and what they use. I really didn't find much.

I set off to make my own mold but really couldn't figure out how to do a one piece mold or
even a cope/drag mold. This is what I could come up with. I know it is VERY novice, which
I am, but it seems to have come out better than expected.

I am coming to all of you to get better insight on how others do this or the setup you
use or even some direction on where to turn to.

Any help would be gracious !!! Of course, comments and critiques welcomed and asked for.
Troy

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I've seen guys cast aluminum handles and I'm sure somebody else has cast resin handles before (nothing new under the sun so they say) but I don't think its very common so I'm not surprised that you didn't find much info on the process. Even so, looks to me like you did it about as well as it can be done and, now that you have, their is some info for someone else to find .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Master

good on ya for trying , looks like it turned out pretty good , well done !!

I guess now your only limited to whatever your imagination can come up with

are you going to do more ?

Old 03-20-2015, 11:10 PM
Steel Addict

Looks good. I'm actually surprised their isn't more info on doing molded knife handles. Please keep us posted on what you learn. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:49 AM
Skilled

Well done sir. Looks like it came out pretty darn nice! I think you're on too something there.

Very cool! What type of resin did you use?

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 03-21-2015, 05:40 AM
Skilled

Thanks everyone !!! Alex ... you do still exist !!! I am trying to make multiples of these knives for
presents to my scouts when they earn their cooking merits. MVP had a great idea of using a plaster-of-paris
type mold but I am trying to find a method that I don't have to remold and recast each and everyone.

Alex, this knife was made from black canvas material with fiberglass resin. When I get to the point of
being able to produce these, I will be using West System epoxy and a try a rubber product as well.

I will be making 3 type of blades - warcliff (only way I know to describe it, above), center point, and std. style.

Thanks for the input !! Any more help would be appreciated.
Troy
Old 03-21-2015, 08:11 AM
Skilled

At one point I bookmarked a site about micarta cast handles but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. The maker did almost nothing but cast handles and he had some really interesting tutorials. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Skilled

Good job man, I've never seen anyone outside of a production knife company do molded knives. Very cool.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Skilled

I found the link i was looking for. It isnt forming the final product around the knife but i thought it would have a few tips to help you on your way

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...-Scales-My-Way
Old 03-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Skilled

Thanks for sending me this link jdale !!! From what I read, I really wasn't THAT far off.
Read some great areas to help "tweek" my design and layouts. Thanks a bunch.
Troy
Old 03-31-2015, 11:35 PM
Skilled

No problem troy, I was impressed with his take on the subject and I knew book marking it would eventually come in handy. The molded handle is on my to do list but so is about 500 other things.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Steel Addict

I found a book that can be downloaded as a pdf by Harold Hoffman called The advanced knife makers manual. Haven't had a chance to read much of it yet, but while skimming through it I noticed it had some info on molds. Worth checking out PoolQs
Old 05-14-2015, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

Troy, maybe I can give you a little heads up. It looks like what you are using now is polyester resin. When you switch to epoxy, it needs to be protected from UV light or it will yellow. You may not find that desirable. Also epoxy applied in bulk can get very hot very fast, you may need to take that into account if you are planning a gang mold.

Nice job on the knife.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Skilled

Thx MVP ... I found the manual and have downloaded it in my knife book collection along with Loveless.
Skimmed through it and it does have a good section on molding, about 25 pages. I look forward to
spending some time and giving it a good read. Thanks !

Jemoran - Thanks for the heads up. I now have 5 done. 3 with the resin and 2 with epoxy. You are
correct about it heating quickly. I used West System epoxy which is used in the marine world. It is
supposed to have a UV protectorant incorporated in the epoxy. I am going to make a few more soon and
just keep them in the sunlight and see if there is a major color issues. I will try to put up a couple of
pixs soon.

Again, thank you all for your encouragement and help !!!
Troy
Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Skilled

Finally got my first 5 molded handled paring knives completed. These are still prototypes and will be
given away but have learned a lot from these. Next set will use different mediums and expoxys.
All comments welcomed !! Troy

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Tags
blades, casting, common, design, epoxy, full tang, handle, handles, how to, kitchen, kitchen knives, knife, knives, made, make, making, man, material, micarta, molding, paring, paring knife, resin, scales, tang