MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

first knife kind of

ok I got it finished, I call this my first knife but I really made one about 4 years ago and have been using premade blanks for the last year, so I consider this my first one.

its 1095 3/16" thick full flat grind, black linen micarta bolster and camel bone handle. it is differentially treated and etched to show hamon. it has black and white liners and black and white spacers on the handle with micarta pins.

I done everything by hand the beveling was done with a file and if I think about it when I get home I will take a pic looking down at the edge, everything came out real even, once done beveling I done all hand sanding to 400 grit.

the picture of the hamon didn't come out as good as I had hoped the sun must have washed it out some.

enjoy.

Last edited by Bbs383ci; 04-20-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

That is a nice looking knife. You said this is only the second blade you have made - have you done some test blades so that you know your heat treatment is correct? If not, there is a Sticky thread at the top of the forum with some suggestions for what needs to be done before you put a lot of effort into finishing a knife ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

no I haven't done any testing, I will get some stuff together and do some testing on it this week and see how it does.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

Ok I did a little testing this evening, between gettin me and kids ready for church. I took a piece of cardboard bos 7"x13" and started cutting it diagonally cut it in little strips till gone then I took the knife and gt a piece of 1/4" brass rod and rolled the cutting edge straight over back and forth four times did this a total of 3 times while pressing hard on the brass, it still shaves being what I've read about 1095 I don't think I'm going to bend it I've heard 1095 tends to crack more so than 1074 or 1080, but I don't know that for certain since I have never messed with any of it before. The next one I do I will just keep it rough and torture test it. I will keep cutting cardboard with this one for a while.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 PM

Location: Central Valley of california between San Jose and Fresno, where the ducks live.
Wow, cant wait to see the next one!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you.

Tags
1095, bee, blade, blades, blanks, bone, brass, edge, file, flat, flat grind, grind, hamon, handle, heat, heat treatment, home, knife, made, micarta, pins, spacers, white