MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

Question ? on pins

How do you pin a handle on antler without messing up the rough areas? here is a pic of what i am talking about. on wood I just pin and sand

thanks....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knife.jpg (161.7 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Austin Cutlery; 05-08-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Most guys just go ahead and mess up some of the rough stuff. Real hard core types might take a Dremel tool and work the pin down with that even to the point of shaping the pin (or end cap when there is one) to blend it in with the rough stuff.

Antler is a pain in the patooty ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Most guys just go ahead and mess up some of the rough stuff. Real hard core types might take a Dremel tool and work the pin down with that even to the point of shaping the pin (or end cap when there is one) to blend it in with the rough stuff.

Antler is a pain in the patooty ....
thanks... I have never done antler before, but have a few guys wanting some now that I have started making knives again. Its been about 10 years since I have made knives, now traying to teach my boys and son-in-law how to do it. I am working on a few now and will post up pics soon. may be a first knife all over again...lol

Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Steel Addict

I have gone so far as to custom make some special domed washers on my lathe. Then I countersink the antler material a little bit to allow the washers to sit in there while the dome is still a little proud of the surface.Then I cut my pin a little long and peen as usual.That way Im not hitting the antler>Then I carefully sand down the pin trying not to touch the antler .You can see this type of pin on old Pumas with stag scales.Give me your address and Ill send you a hanfull of domed washers,pinstock,and a homemade countersink to try out.
Eric
Old 05-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Guru

If you really want to fit the pin to the contour of the stag then grind the pin down to where it is slightly too long. Then drive it through enough one way so you can contour that end to where it matches the stag and then drive it through the other way and repeat on the other end. When done you can apply some glue & drive it back in place to where both ends match the contour of the stag. It's a little more work but gives you a very nice look when you're done.

Gary

Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

You can also jig the area that is sanded if it you it right it won't even be noticed. I make a lot of knives with ram and bison horns shaping usually takes a lot of the roughness out of them. I'm sure there are some videos on Youtube showing how to do it. I've make some small jigging tools for my dremel that work good for what I want.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Hall of Famer

If I were doing it I would drill the hole for the pin where it would intersect the hole cut for the, fit the blade and then drill the tang for the pin. You will have to use a bit just a little wider than the size of the pin. It's better to go to a metric or number size bit just a little larger than to pick up a fractional bit 1/64" larger. Take a look at the decimal inch equivalent sizes and go just a few couple of thousandths over and the pin will be snugger. Then measure from one end of the pin hole to the other on the handle. Cut the pin just very slightly longer, file off one end to square it then file the other end until the pin becomes just slightly less than the length of the hole. Rough the pin, push it in until both ends appear even with the handle and carefully clean up the excess epoxy with WD-40 on a cotton tip applicator.

I'm not saying that my way would be better than anyone else's but that is the was that I'd do it.

Doug

Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Steel Addict

Shawn, i don't worry too much about messing up the surface. i blend the pins in with a carbide burr and the re stain any place i need to with potassium permanganate. if I'm careful most people don't even notice

Erik
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

thank you all for all of the tips!

Tags
antler, apply, back, bee, custom, handle, homemade, how to, jig, knife, knives, made, make, making, material, pins, pinstock, post, sand, scales, stag, surface, teach, tips, wood