MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM

New to the knife world

Hello everyone! As stated in the title I am new to the knife making world. And I am blown away at the craftmanship that I have been seeing. I am a ways away from making my 1st knife but I have been doing alot of research and reading. Today I just got "How to make a knife" by Barney and Loveless and "$50 Knife Shop" by Goddard. Is there anything else yall would suggest? Also I live in Duncan, Oklahoma which is about 40 minutes from Texas is there anyone close by that would mentor or help point me in the right direction? I look forward to hearing from yall!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Steel Addict

welcome man! I'm from North Texas around the denton area. long way from teaching anybody anything though.. lol
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Skilled

It is a wonderful thing to learn. Welcome and I am anxious for you to learn and also to find someone to help you, and you will. No doubt, this a great group to help.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:25 AM

Get together anyway....you can teach each other.....keep checking and putting out feelers....soon there will be three of you....then it's a movement and you'll have to hide your activities from Big Brother...what an awful mess you've gotten us into Olley!
Really, you will be surprised how much faster you can learn working together. Two heads thing.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamrath1 View Post
Hello everyone! As stated in the title I am new to the knife making world. And I am blown away at the craftmanship that I have been seeing. I am a ways away from making my 1st knife but I have been doing alot of research and reading. Today I just got "How to make a knife" by Barney and Loveless and "$50 Knife Shop" by Goddard. Is there anything else yall would suggest? Also I live in Duncan, Oklahoma which is about 40 minutes from Texas is there anyone close by that would mentor or help point me in the right direction? I look forward to hearing from yall!
Get "The Complete Bladesmith" by Jim Hrisoulas. It's literally my Blademaking Bible. His whole series is amazing and worth every penny, but this one most of all.

The Complete Bladesmith: Forging Your Way To Perfection: Jim Hrisoulas: 9781581606331: Amazon.com: Books The Complete Bladesmith: Forging Your Way To Perfection: Jim Hrisoulas: 9781581606331: Amazon.com: Books
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Steel Addict

Well my phone number is 940 231 0863 if you ever wanna come down to my shop and hangout you are more than welcome! Always fun to have somebody to talk with while I tinker!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Get "The Complete Bladesmith" by Jim Hrisoulas. It's literally my Blademaking Bible. His whole series is amazing and worth every penny, but this one most of all.

The Complete Bladesmith: Forging Your Way To Perfection: Jim Hrisoulas: 9781581606331: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks book is ordered!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo76 View Post
Well my phone number is 940 231 0863 if you ever wanna come down to my shop and hangout you are more than welcome! Always fun to have somebody to talk with while I tinker!
Heck yes brother! I will take you up on that offer once work slows down some.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Steel Addict

I hear that man I almost never have time to get down there anymore myself between work and the wife Lol.
I have only made a few knives myself but I have some stainless hunting knife kits and i am sure i could spare one for you to learn to assemble a knife.

Tags
assemble, bee, forge, forging, help., how to, how to make a knife, hunting, hunting knife, kits, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, man, mentor, stainless, teach