MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Registered

Tinting Epoxy

I am new to knife making and interested in completing filework to enhance the knives I am working with. Can anyone tell me what type of epoxy can be tinted without reducing the holding power of the epoxy. I have read several posts regarding various brands of epoxy including West System and others. I have used System Three epoxy in the past and tinted it with black pigment to fill voids in mesquite. I am wanting to use the epoxy to fill the area between my file work and the scales. Any help offered is welcomed.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Skilled

Lots of opinions on this subject to be sure.
Consider me an big fan of System Three and their proprietary pigments.
There are other products that work well also, hopefully others will chime in with alternative suggestions. I'm new to knifemaking but know what to expect from S3 since I've used it on many art and furniture projects (with great success) in the past and use it to fill filework with confidence.
Here is a pic of some filework that I had great results filling with S3 Mirror Coat and their black pigment. I use this knife a lot... zero problems.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Master

I think most epoxies can be tinted without problems. The problems occur with the tinting agent. If you use it in too high of concentration it will reduce the holding power...and if you use the wrong type of tint it can reduce the holding power.

As long as you use tints designed for the purpose, and follow the instructions on percentage to add, then you should be fine. Where people get in trouble is when they mix stuff not intended for the purpose..fabric dyes, acrylic paint, etc. It may work , or it may not, but at a few dollars for a jar of epoxy dye...its cheap enough to get the proper stuff.

Of course some epoxies are stronger to begin with...
Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Skilled

I've had good luck with Golfsmiths shafting epoxy.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Master

Acraglas comes with brown and black dye, very potent too.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for all of the info. I think I will try using System Three and Acraglas as they have pigment formulated for their epoxy. Rockhound, that is very nice file work. That is what I am trying to accomplish with my knives. I would like to get more information from you about the process if you are willing. I just completed the file work on my first blade and am now trying to figure out the best way to attach the scales, stabilize the wood and so on.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Master

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
Old 09-23-2012, 06:05 AM
Skilled

Eli,
I walked through your FB pictorial... WOW!! So nice and it exposed me to some new things about knifemaking. You are extremely talented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwelch165 View Post
I would like to get more information from you about the process if you are willing. I just completed the file work on my first blade and am now trying to figure out the best way to attach the scales, stabilize the wood and so on.
Since I'm so new and still learning from my mistakes, I'm probably the wrong person to consult on this. I can help to the best of my ability but everything I've learned and attempted thus far has come from the help and archived information found on this site. Scale attachment for a full tang is fairly easy if you have prior woodworking skills. Stabilizing wood is a different animal and I've never attempted it.... I've used reputable professional vendors who have that process mastered. I used natural (non-stabilized but kiln dried) Maple in the pic above. In hindsight... If I'd have used a spacer material on that build the filling of the filework would have probably been an easier process.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Master

Rockhound, stay tuned. I'm never satisfied so most things I share are new to me too.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Registered

Rockhound I think you underestimate your talent but that is great to know you have obtained the info from members here. That gives me great hope for my own projects. I have read that knife makers are very willing to teach "greenhorns" like myself how to become great makers themselves and it is becoming more apparent this is true. I am what you would call a jack of all traits, and master of none but have never been so motivated in a hobby as I am with making knifes. Thanks for your help. I will try to keep in touch and send you a pic or two of my finished products if they turn out.

Tags
art, bee, blade, coat, easy, file, file work, full tang, hobby, how to, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, making, material, mirror, paint, scales, stabilizing, tang, teach, wood