MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Skilled

What is a "Fighter"?

I see knives being called "fighters" that could easily be categorized as something else, Like a bowie.

I'm curious, What to YOU makes a knife a tactical or Fighter style knife?

Post a pic (or description) of what is the quintessential "Fighter" style knife to you.

Cause, well, I want to make one... And when It's finished I'd like people to say "ooh nice fighter" LOL

Thanks

Ricky
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 PM
Hall of Famer

The easy answer is that a fighting knife is the one the you have when things get up close and ugly. For a purpose built fighting knife I would say a minimum of 6 inch blade with 8-12 inches being even better to reach deep into the vitals and to reach into the target for a slashing attack. It should be at least partially double edged, on the thin side to facilitate stabbing, around 1/8" and not more than 1 1/2" wide. You would need some sort of a guard to keep the hand from slipping up the blade when used for stabbing.

A tactical knife, to me, is a utility knife that around 6-8" long, possibly single edged and maybe with a short false edge, and a little thicker and wider than what I'd use as a fighter. It would have a guard to keep the hand from slipping up the blade and be just a little heavier built to take the strains from chopping and prying.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Lester; 01-31-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Actually, a 'Bowie' is a fighter insofar as that's what Jimmy B carried a knife for. A dagger is also a fighter because there's little else it's good for and that is what is was designed for. Then there's Kerambits, kukris, wakasashis, and who knows what all every one of which was designed for the express purpose of offense or defense, i.e., a 'fighter'.

Most often, I would guess, when we as Americans speak of fighting knives we mostly mean knives that follow either a generalized bowie or dagger pattern. Most often, but not always. We tend to like larger blades for fighters, say, 7 to 11 inches but the guys I know who have won numerous knife fights - to the point of being the only survivor- usually favor blades in the 4" range because that's all it takes and like Doug said it's the one you're more likely to have with you.

But, for the sake of the definition you seem to be seeking, a 'fighter' would be any knife for which that purpose is obvious - like a large bowie or dagger - or any other design that appears intended for fighting but not for much of anything else ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 01-31-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Hall of Famer

The design of the fighting knife will also be determined by the opponent that you expect to be facing if you have to resort to a knife. (Personally, if I had to pick something to bring to a knife fight it would be a slab sided .45) If you would be expecting to go up against someone in street clothes and a gun was out of the question, something with a 4-5" blade would do the trick, plus it will be easier to keep out of sight than a knife with a longer blade. If you were expecting the possibility of the person wearing modern armor designed to stop at least mid velocity rounds then you might need something with a little more reach to go through the arm or neck holes or from up underneath and still reach the vitals. You might also want to consider a bit of a stronger blade that could come up from below the chin, puncture the skull and enter the brain stem. That may sound ugly. Killing people is ugly but that's what a dedicated fighting knife is meant for. It's not like a tactical knife that's not primarily designed for fighting but would serve will if it had to be pressed into service in a fight. Form follows function.

Ray's right, the best knife is the one that you can have with you. A four inch bladed knife might not be ideal for a fighting knife but it a long sight better than a knife with a 10 inch blade that your aren't able to have with you for whatever reason.

There are so many things that are called bowie knives that I don't like to use the term. I've seen some that look more like they are meant to carve the Christmas ham than to use in a fight. I think a lot of knives that are sold as bowies are monstrosities, like that pointed piece of steel with a brass back strap the Case put out.

The best description of the knife that James Bowie had at the sandbar outside of Natchez was a big butcher knife. So the butcher at the meat market could well have something that was closer to what Bowie had when things got ugly. He did carry it as a weapon after a local sheriff shot him during a personal dispute even though he showed that he wasn't armed but he also carried it as a tool so I look on the proper bowie as a tactical knife. It might seem to be a silly thing to carry as a side arm considering the experience with being shot. You got to remember though, back then once you pulled the trigger, whether it went bang or not, all you had was a second rate cudgel. Many pistols weren't all that powerful to begin with back then either and many a time they didn't go bang when the trigger was pulled. Remember that we're talking flintlocks here.

Doug

Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Hall of Famer

This reminds me of a knife I made many years ago. A govt. Agent ordered a folder to carry with him. The specs were:

Belt clip

Must be able to draw and open with one hand.

Must have a blade 2 1/2" long in order to reach a man's heart.

Must have serrations at the tip in order to slice an opponent's wrist tendons.

He was pleased with it.

True story.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Skilled

Ok, we'll I managed to get some space in a friends shed so ill be starting a knife today. I Think it will be a fighter. Lets see if I can pull it off.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Go for it! Just post pictures when it's done.

Doug

Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Skilled

Well, I hope this one says "I'm a Fighter"! I looked at about 50 "fighters" and took what I liked and started one.

here it is so far. Rough fitting of handle. Rough grind of Blade done. Will probably heat treat tomorrow.

How am I doing so far?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Master

I would say that it's definatly a fighter looks good man.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:45 AM

I personally like the ones that have two barrels and trigger mounted in the guard.
Fighting with knives is a desparate thing. I got stuck once and walked out because my barstool was bigger. It helped me get new direction in my life so I don't get into those situations anymore.

That blade design looks like it would qualify nicely.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Definitely not a paring knife, looks very good to me ...

Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Enthusiast

Never Ever take a knife to a gunfight
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 PM

damascus fighter with mammoth scales

i have made this and put on my website for sale
please send your reviews thanx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65a.jpg (173.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 71a.jpg (189.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Skilled

Some progress, Should have the handle on later tonight. But here it is so far, Some times with a Hamon, you don't get what you are going for. But that doesn't mean I don't like it

Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM

The hamon's a little out of control but the important part for now is that you got one and you managed to get it to show up pretty nicely. The file work looks nice and crisp and even (better than the last time I tried it), and the blade looks clean and well formed. Maybe not perfect but a darned good start ...

Tags
back, blade, bowie, brass, chris, christmas, coat, damascus, design, easy, folder, guard, hand, handle, heat treat, knife, knives, made, man, pattern, post, scales, steel, strap, tactical