MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast

One to share

My uncle was kind enough to send a photo of the knife I made for him for Christmas '05, I'd like to share with everyone and hear comments (good and bad!) about the knife. It is the third knife I've made, not including the one kit I've built.

The blade is 01 toolsteel, rough ground on a table-top belt sander, finished with files and sandpaper. The guard is brass, purchased from TKS and finished to fit, and soldered in place. There is a .030" black vulcanized spacer between the guard and the bolivian rosewood handle, finished with multiple coats of tung oil.

I'll start with the comments. I'm very happy with the workmanship on this one, but I'm not overly-impressed with the general style. I think the handle needs something more to it, not sure what though.

Thanks for looking, feel free to comment both ways.

JLaw
Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Hello JLaw nice knife. Im also a newby with three knives made with same tools. I like the look of ypur knife (original). I especially like the mirror finish. good job.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Steel Addict

JLaw, Very nice work. If thats your 3rd one in 05 show us where you are now.

Very impressed with the finish work you could do with that experieance in knife making.

I,ve made about 20 knives and your work may be ahead of me on your thrid try.

Thanks for showing us your work, Jim
Old 02-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

Nice work ! I'm no expert still new at knives myself maybe the next one you could try some diff pins for the handle corbys, loveless or maybe some mosaic just a thought

Old 02-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the kind comments. Unfortunately I'm not much farther along now, I started only one knife in '06 and never finished it...lots of stuff happened last year that occupied too much time. So this year I've vowed to get back to grinding and begin learning some things. Hopefully I'll pick up where I left off.

longhunter - That may very well be what is missing in the handle, something "more" might just be some mosaic pins or just something different. What are loveless pins? Like it is it's okay, but that may have added just the right touch. I really appreciate the input.

JLaw
Old 02-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Hall of Famer

JLaw nice knife.I like simple and to the point.I personally like the design.The only thing I think I would have done differently would have been to use 3 pins,move the forward one closer to the guard and added one to the center.I like it.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Skilled

Jay
Agood start since you are in the woodlands take a look at this post http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40037

You may be interested

Old 02-04-2007, 09:48 AM

My first knife was 15 years ago.
And I've been doing it pretty much full time for 6 years,
but I have never made one that looks that good.
Dern, it's shiny!

Good work

J. Knife
Old 02-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Hall of Famer

JLaw,

Nice knife! I bet it took a while to get that finish by hand, right?

You asked for comments so I'll give mine. You thought there was something not quite right about it. I think it's that the lines don't flow. You have nice curves on the blade, but as your eye follows the spine from the tip to the handle, it stops there. I think if the line of the top of the line continued into the top of the handle you'd have a much better "look." I'd also give the handle a little bit of a drop, continuing that curve in the spine on back to the back of the handle. Just my 2 cents. Still, a great looking knife for one of us newbies.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

Very true on the lack of flowing lines. I suppose like you say a curve or a flowing drop towards the back of the handle would have tied the blade in with the handle together. Learn as we go!

And yes, the mirror job took quite some time! Wished I'd kept track, but it was done over several evenings. One grit at a time, polishing out the grooves left by the previous grit, up to 2000 grit, then rouge.

JLaw

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives