MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 01-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Registered

couldn't shoot the color purple - Does Prince hate me?

I was shooting some quick pics and didn't have time to figure this one out. I'll have to work on it this weekend.

I was shooting a purple colored cordura knife case and every picture came out bright blue instead. I am using flourescent day colored lights that are around 5700K. I changed the white balance from custom that I had set it to earlier and have used for hundreds of pics to several other settings and then had to move on. This one really stumped me as all the other colors seem to come out fine, just this purple thing comes out as blue. I'll work with the camera some more to find out what setting must be jacked up but has anyone heard of that before?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Tracy - I had the same thing happen a while back. 1st pic - shows the correct background color. 2nd pic - same background but it's bright blue! If both of us have experienced this there must be a simple answer. At the time I didn't bother to try and figure out what happened because I kind of liked the blue. I did a few other shots of that Hibben "Tiger Shark" and got the correct background color, that is to say "the color formerly known as purple." So I just figured it was Digital VooDoo and I would never really understand it.

Fraser and Blatner say in Real World Photoshop CS2 on p. 867 "Not only can you rarely predict tonal shifts in images for the screen, you can't assume anything about color."

Maybe someone will come along and enlighten us.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 01-14-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Master

Can you say whether it's the camera or the computer ? My commercial photographer friend says for proffesional results you have to have a camera that has the full color spectrum a computer that has the full color spectrum and a printer that has the full color spectrum.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Guru

Tracy,

I googled this, and although I found more instances of Cannon's doing it, than Nikon's, they both appear to have a problems.

The one cannon sight I found said he tried a bunch of G2's in best buy, the old display model had no problem, all of the new ones had issues.

There was some that could fix it with the saturation switches, but it appears that for a lot of people it is the sensor itself. Supposedly the sensor is more sensitive to a far blue wavelength that our eyes can't pick up. The sensor developers do everything possible to match the human eye, but in most cases can't do it fully.

The other thing, some purples do this (those with a magenta/red component) and others seem to show up normally.

Do you shoot in RAW mode? Maybe you can adjust the saturation and get some of the purple back.

One recommendation was to try a blue filter. Interesting thing, this happened with bright magenta shifting to pink in a lot of films, so not a new problem.

This is what you get when propose an interesting dilemma to someone getting over the flu with all the time in the world to google.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 01-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Guru

not a problem. get something like a macbeth or kodak color squares and shoot an image of that. You will see there's alot more similar type things going on.

Another thought is calibration both monitor and camera. When dealing with both there's major flaws that is introduced with back lighting, NOT all are the same.

Also monitors will undergo color shifts with age, CTR's will go faster and more drastic than lcd's but both will shift.

If you dont have one I would suggest grabbing a spyder for the monitor calibration.

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

Tags
knife