MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

Vietnam era Bowie Axe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1

I just wanted to alert any Randall collectors that this IS NOT a Vietnam era Bowie Axe. I sent the link to my good friend , Stephen McEvoy who is Harry's son. This is the e mail that I received back from him. I sent this to the seller who basically cursed me out in a e mail.

Bobby,

From the picture, this Bowie-Axe appears to be one I produced sometime between 2000 and 2003, (if the sheath color is cordovan which it appears to be). If the sheath color is black, the knife is probably circa 2004. It was not produced during the Viet Nam era - that is for certain. Current retail price of this knife is $75.00 Let me know if you need additional information.
Stephen

I just do not want anyone to get ripped off. Please pass this around to the other Randall forums.

Thanks,

Bobby
Old 09-22-2005, 05:38 PM

Hi Bobby!

Thanks for bringing this eBay item to our attention.

I'm sorry that you were treated so rudely by the seller, who one would hope would not wish to misrepresent any knife which he is selling.

I see that you helped save THE AMERICAN KNIFE THROWERS ALLIANCE and are a recognized knifemaker in your own right.

See here: http://www.akta-usa.com/

and: http://www.brantonknives.com/Handcrafted%20knives.htm

You also know how to throw a knife: http://www.akta-usa.com/about_bobby.htm

Hopefully, the seller will come to realize that there is little to be gained by perpetuating misinformation, and will pull his auction, then re-list it with a proper description.

Cheers!

David

Old 09-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
hmmmm. I wonder how you would date these things. I had assumed mine was vintage mint. Now I am not so sure.
My Bowie Axe

Old 09-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast

Whoever this dude is on ebay has been selling lots of Randalls lately. Most of them, he has been really proud of (judging by his Buy It Now prices). He has sold some really nice Randalls, so I would think he would know a true Randall when he saw one. Makes me wonder if maybe his account has been hijacked.

Keith
Old 09-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdownnow
hmmmm. I wonder how you would date these things. I had assumed mine was vintage mint. Now I am not so sure.
My Bowie Axe
What is your definition of Vintage mint? That is a new one for me. That does not look like a Vietnam era Bowie Axe. You have to remember that Harry made thousands of these things between the late 50's and early eighties. His son still makes them too and you have to look real close at the stamp to tell the difference. The guy has his ad worded very carefully. It is basically lying by ommission. The newbie collector can be fooled very easily.

Bobby
Old 09-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Hall of Famer

When I bought my bowie axe in 2000 off ebay I had assumed Harry had passed on and the company folded. Vintage, meaning when Harry was still making them and mint, I consider any throwing knife that has never been thrown mint. Here is a scan of my Bowie Axe Tru-Bal mark next to an older, I think, Tru Bal mark. Sorry I don't know the model but it is a favorite of mine.
Tru-Bal mark

Here is a pic of my other tru-Bal. Do you know the model? Thanks
Unknown model

Old 09-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Sorry to blast the thread, but here is a pic of a knife said to be a VN era Bowie Axe from a military fighting knife site.

militaryfightingknives(clickhere)

Old 09-23-2005, 03:30 AM
Skilled

....The 19th printing of the Randall catalog has the Tru Balance throwing knife and the Bowie-Axe on page 22. The description say it has a fiber handle. That one on ebay looks much like the small PIC in the catalog but it looks like it may have a more durable and shiny handle (perhaps micarta) than the ones that are in the Randall museum. It looks like the handles are riveted on the same way in the older ones and the newer ones. BTW the price in the 19th printing is $16 with a sheath described as similar to the Model B and $14 without the sheath. The throwing knife is a couple dollars less.
Jeff
Old 09-23-2005, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdownnow
When I bought my bowie axe in 2000 off ebay I had assumed Harry had passed on and the company folded. Vintage, meaning when Harry was still making them and mint, I consider any throwing knife that has never been thrown mint. Here is a scan of my Bowie Axe Tru-Bal mark next to an older, I think, Tru Bal mark. Sorry I don't know the model but it is a favorite of mine.
Tru-Bal mark

Here is a pic of my other tru-Bal. Do you know the model? Thanks
Unknown model
This Model is the Tru Bal model # 1 and has been discontinued for many years. I have over 300 Tru Bal knives in my collection. Most are one of a kind pieces and a lot are variations from design changes over the years. The Vietnam Era pieces are easy to pass off to the unsuspecting buyer. I do not believe that the other knife on that site is an actual Viet Nam Era Bowie. I'll get with Stephen and see if we can put together a montage of pics and descriptions to help the knife buyers to discern the difference between the Vietnam era Bowie Axe and the standard Bowie Axe.
Harry passed away in 1992 and his son continued with the business and is still in business today and does the knife business part time.
Bobby
Old 09-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the info on my knife. Model 1. I like that for some reason.
It was used when I got it, a gift from a friend who said his grandmother gave it to him, used. I usually throw my Olsens, they are easier for my 7 yearold to handle. A few are unmarked and have a slightly differnt grind. If I go off throwing alone I grab the model1.

After I got the Bowie Axe, it was so nice and I thought it might be rare, so I did not throw it. A very hard thing to keep from doing. to make up for it I had some blanks EDM'ed out. I ground a few, no pics and the are at my shop. Here is a pic of a blank and one I forged out with a coffin shaped handle in sort of a Tah Chee bowie style. I plan to weld in some front and rear damaskus bolsters with antique bone micarta scales. sorry to go on and on, but I don't get to talk throwers much. Thanks again, Roc
Blank and forged blade(clickhere)

I want it to look sort of like this one.
Tah Chee

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 09-23-2005 at 09:23 AM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives