MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 09-08-2002, 10:39 AM
Master

cool rust prevention product

I went to the elctrical supply house the other day and saw a remarkable product. It is called bullfrog rust preventer. The displat showed a 2 bottles with water. One had steel wool treated and the other not treated with this product. Of course the one not treated was brown with rust and the other had water that was clear and no rust at all. The metal was nice and shiny. This product looks to truly work. It comes in wax or liquid. The web site is www.cortecvpci.com . Anybody tried this material? It almost looks to good to be true. Didnt look at MSDA SHEET BUT HOME PAGE SAYS ENVIRONMENTALY SAFE.

Dan
www.theknifemaker.com

Old 09-09-2002, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
corrosion prevention

I took a look at that website last night....if it works as well as they claim it should be some great stuff! Has anyone tried it yet? If so, give us some feedback.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-20-2002, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

Smile Rust Prevention

Hi

Heres one for ya, If you want to ensure no rust gets on a Carbon Steel Blade , use Pam cooking spray. Spritz a small amount onto the blade,it will foam up,wipe down with your fingers ,it will saturate into the metal. Wipe off the excess. When it dries it is like THIN COAT of Cosmolene. The stuff Millitary equipment is shipped overseas covered with. Don't know but I suspect any cooking spray will do the same.
Stephan Burrows of Gypsy Silk Knives gave me this tip ,and I have stored O1,5160, blades for over a year at a time with NO rust on getting on them.

Old 10-20-2002, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Bullfrog products...

Just before I left the States, I got in a bottle of the Bullfrog rust preventer, and a bottle of the wax/rust inhibator. I gave my EBK a good coat of the wax prior to coming over here, and to date it has worked like a champ. The other knives that I brought along have began to rust from the intense humidity, but the EBK with the Bullfrog wax is still like new..........that may not sound like much, but consider the EBK is carried/used everyday while I'm in uniform, and the others have been sitting in a zippered case.

The "Pam" trick works really well too, just make sure you use the regular Pam.........the flavored varieties will really screw up carbon steels!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-20-2002, 09:49 PM

Ed,

Thanks for the feed back on Bullfrog. It sounded interesting and I was going to get some. Now I'm sure that I'll try it out.

Good To hear from you, I'll assume that everything is going as well as can be expected for you.

Stay safe,

Bob Sigmon
Old 10-20-2002, 11:16 PM
Master

rust

Ed,

Glad you are fine and have the time to check in with your fellow knifemakers. Sounds like the Bullfrog products work. Thanks.

Dan
www.theknifemaker.com

Tags
blade, knife, knives