MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 07-28-2002, 02:52 PM
Master

convex (moran) grind

I have a couple of questions.
I am trying to picture what a convex grind is like......described to me as two concave arcs, and where the points meet is the edge.
I dont think I have ever seen (or noticed) a convex grind on a knife .......is it noticably convexed or is it similiar to a flat grind?

Would the thickest part of a convex grind be at the back/spine, or is it further down.
Any tips on how to do this grind? (is it basicaly a flat grind with a curvature in?).
Thanks in advance.

Kevin.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:01 PM
Master

Hi Kevin,
As I unnerstand, the convex grind can be both/either convex at the edge only (flat, hollow, or sabre grind profile) or convex o/all.

The edge is the improtant thing (cuts out that nasty bevel that binds as it cuts)

Imagine your perfect cutting angle on the edge, then, instead of continuing this in a straight line, it immediately starts to curve (in a convex manner) to blend in with whatever profile blade you have.

Your description is accurate & yes, generally (although there may be exceptions) the spine is the thickest part.

It can look totally "as one" with the rest of the blade, or, if it's slightliy "aggresive" it can look just like a "normal" ground edge.

Suffice to say it's a reet (insert Northern British colloquial saying here) to grind, & even more of a one to keep the conxexity (a real word?) when sharpening.

I hope I've covered everything (& got it right) please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope that helps.

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!
Old 07-28-2002, 06:57 PM
Master

I visualised it being a bit axe shaped, but being able to combine it with other blade grinds makes sense.....I guess it would be done on a flat belt grinder.

Thanks.
Kevin.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:14 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

A convex grind is a little different than just a convex edge on a flat grind.
A convex grind is done on the slack part of the belt and is opposite from a hollow grind. It appears to be shaped like an upside down tear drop.
It is the best for chopping and heavy work.
It has a paribolic geometry.
Old 08-03-2002, 05:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Geno, You did a great job explaining the different grinds in your video. Your appology in the beginning about not being a film maker is unnessesary as the video is great! the sound quality is exellent. you can see everything step by step. Your explanation of what you are doing and why you are doing it is clear and easy to follow. It is like being walked thru the steps by good and patient friend. I have seen a few videos and yours is the best I have seen so far. your flexhead is really innovative. The simplisity and functionality is inspired and inspiring. To make such a usefull tool out of what you have on hand is what "handmade" is all about. Thank you for taking the time to make the video. (sorry about the spelling) my spell checker is asleep. She has to get up early. Thanks again, Roc
Old 08-05-2002, 10:37 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

Thanks ROC,
I wish everyone could watch it, but not everyone has, so we are still here explaining it on the forums too.
I just can't post all the illustrations and such on this machine like I can with my camera.
Thanks, and be blessed.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Master

I would be interested in getting that video....where do I buy one.

Thanks.
Kevin.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:30 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Video

The CKD offers it, My web page offers it, or you can call me at (817) 451 8243 and order it.
We accept most all forms of payment including pay pal.
$20.00 for a three hour video, step by step.

(sorry to plug my video here,Ed, it just came up)
Be blessed.

Tags
blade, knife