MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 03-30-2002, 01:12 PM
J Loose

'Leather Sheen,' acrylic soak

I've recently had good luck with a product called Leather Sheen. I used to just use it as directed and wipe on sheaths for some moisture resistance, but I tried immersing a wet-formed sheath and letting it dry to see what it would do. I got excellently hard sheaths... with just enough give for the Scandinavian thing where the blade 'pops,' in place as the handle decreases in circumference.

It sure seems like it would hold up relatively indefinitely-

Anyone else tried this?
Old 03-30-2002, 03:27 PM
helmar4578

Leather sheen is a fine product and I have used it for years. It is relatively moisture resistant, is an "excellent" sealer over both spirit and oil dyes and can be used to help stiffen the sheath when the inside is coated. It does not significantly change the color of natural leather but accentuates the color of dyed leathers. It is particularly good when used as a "resist" prior to high lighting carved or tooled leathers. If a higher gloss is required, coat the sheen with a product called Resinol. Fiebing's is an excellent choice for your acrylic finish!
Old 03-30-2002, 08:44 PM
MtMike

Leather Sheen

I also discovered a nice little side benefit. I like the synthetic sinew for sewing, but it can fray over time, even with my wax and oil sealer applied. But a coat of the acrylic also seals the thread nicely. One small caution for anyone who hasn't used the acrylic --make sure "sheen" is the finish you want, because that's what it does.
MtMike
Old 03-31-2002, 02:42 PM
helmar4578

Re: Leather Sheen

You are so right, Mike! Shiny is the end result, like a pit polish! Sandy

Tags
blade, knife