MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 10-22-2002, 04:08 PM

Small grinder/belt sander

Hi Guys

I am looking for some tool advice. Have any of you looked at the small belt sander/grinder combos from the likes of Machine Mart or B&Q. They have a 6" emery wheel on one end and a 2x20 something sander on the other end of a grinder motor. I have posted a link to a picture

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060713050

I was thinking I could use it as is for know as I am only fiddling with knife making (I still have not finished a kit yet) and if I decide I need more I can cannabalise it for rollers and adjusters etc. to build my own.

I can get it for ?25 what do you guys think?

Cheers
Tom

Last edited by Tom; 10-22-2002 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:13 PM
Master

Tom,
I have one just like that, only use it now for hogging & buffing (keep it clean & you can do this) belt grit size is limited, motor can be stopped if you are too enthusiastic (you'll get the feel for it, & can sand steel at "quite a lick" as I believe our American cousins say)

all in all, not bad for a starting m/c, but you'll be wishing for summat bigger with more choice for grits within a week (I got one of the bigger ones with a disc sander attachment, that was a looonnng time ago, & I'm still only just "making do" with that (gotta get a kmg ))

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!
Old 10-23-2002, 02:25 AM
Steel Addict

hey guys,

When I started out knifemaking 5 years ago my father bought me an electra beckum belt grinder (50* 1050mm belts) - grinding stone combination. Here's a link http://www.elektra-beckum.de/de/prod...e_bs_200_w.htm

The machine is ok for flat and convex grinds, hollow grinds are difficult (small contact wheel and big motor sitting in the way).

I know several hobbyist knifemakers who use this machine for grinding, polishing (replace the stone with a buffer), sharpening, ... Good quality belts (3m) can easily be found in different roughness (even trizact and scotchbrite belts are available). Price is around 200?... Normally there's a lot of information on belt grinders on the web. If you understand german, have a look at http://www.messerforum.net (see messermacher treff and look for bandschleifer).

good luck,

tim
Old 10-23-2002, 02:29 AM
Skilled

Tom, I got one of those too. I got mine from B&Q, they call it a linisher. Like Colin, I dont use it much. The angle of the belt cant be adjusted, it's fixed at the angle you see in the picture, which is a little awkward for knife making IMO. Like Colin says, the motor isn't too powerful either. I intend to cannabalise mine for the rollers & adjuster to make something worth using. I suppose if you really dont have the few extra ?? for something with more grunt, it may be useable, but dont bank on using it for long.

I use a 4" x 36" like this....

Page: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060615005

Much better, at around ?70, a little more money, but worth the extra and the disk is a godsend for profiling. You can get these models from Wickes, B&Q, Machine Mart etc. They are badged differently, but are essentially all the same chinese made machines.

Tim, that grinder looks promising, much better than the MM offering. Maybe worth a look.

Last edited by Martyn; 10-23-2002 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:55 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the 4x36 as well and if you guys reckon its the better of the 2 I may wait a little and get the cash together.

Have you guys found any belts in grits higher than 120 in this or any size. Is there a most common belt size over here and if so is it 2x72 like the US or something different.

I am tempted to build my own grinder but I am not sure what size belts to design for.

Cheers
Tom
Old 10-23-2002, 12:51 PM
Master

Tom,
If you go to Machine Mart, or a B&Q warehouse store, there is a bigger range available (60-280 grits)

Quote:
I am tempted to build my own grinder but I am not sure what size belts to design for.
If you are serious, build for 2x72, checkout Rob Frinks website & you'll be assured (because he's Rob)

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!
Old 10-25-2002, 02:33 AM
Steel Addict

hey tom,

I have 2 belt grinders: the electra beckum with 50 * 1020 mm belts and a grit grinder with 50 * 1600 mm belts (the european version of the square wheel grinder found in the states). For both machines, i buy my belts via a german friend. Both are readily available sizes (3M), and are sold as far as 400 grit in normal belts, plus trizac (piramid shaped grinding particles, great and even finish and almost everlasting).

Personally, i wouldn't go for belt wider than 50 mm. Why? I have my grinders for several years, never felt the need for wider belts.

If you want to build your own grinder, make it so it will take different belt lengths. Have a look in wayne goddards book '50$ knifemaking' (or something similar), a lot of good tricks and ideas.

see ya,

tim
Old 11-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Registered

Linishing Belts

Dear Tom,
you can obtain belts for the 4"x36" or 100x915mm belt from a company called J&L Industrial supply Company in Wednesbury. thay range from 36 to 400 grit in the following 36,40,50,60,80,100,120,150,180,240,320 and 400 grit and can be found on page 671 of there current catologue.
thay range in price from ?3.99 to ?3.09 per belt.
give J&L a ring on 0800 663355 to get there 1200 page catologue for free. the best thing is if you order over ?20 +vat of goods before 5:30pm thay deliver next day in the price for free.
hope this helps.
PS thay sell just about any tool for metalworking you could think of...
Old 11-07-2002, 02:21 AM

Hi Mark

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Tom
Old 01-16-2003, 01:29 AM
Registered

Tom,
I'd like to suggest you to take a look at
www.valex.it
This Italian company located in the north east of Italy makes a very inexpensive belt-dish sander.
What's strange? The dish diameter is 15 cm., while the belt size is the absolutely hard-to-find (here) 100 x 915!!

Have a good work.

Ciao.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to MSoerensen
axminster also sells a belt & disc sander here is the link
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CCBDS46

learning by doing

Tags
knife, knife making