MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Skilled

I wouldn't mind having a copy Jack!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Skilled

I guess the people who have contributed here should get a copy, if they collect Randall publications and memorabilia as well as knives. So I'll be happy to send Ron, Joe, Sam, Bill, Ronnie a copy if they want it and would value it as part of their collection of Randall stuff. If I have a spare copy Steve would get one for his general help. Addresses to forward the copy (when I receive then) can be send by PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Enjoyed the article on the Pathfinders. My best buddy Maj. John Herron USArmy Ret. was, among other things, a Pathfinder.
My hats off to all who serve and who have served.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Skilled

Lonny has just informed me that Joe Galloway is reading this Sentinel story. This is an honor in itself... you can check out who he is on line, but here are the cliff notes:

"Editor's note: Joseph Galloway, 73, is a veteran war correspondent who did four stints in Vietnam, including a 16-month tour in 1965, during which he covered the pivotal Battle of Ia Drang Valley. Despite being a civilian, Galloway was awarded a Bronze Star with ?V? device for valor by the Army for rescuing a badly wounded soldier under fire.

"Galloway went on to cover conflicts across the world, including the first Persian Gulf War and the Iraq War. He is the co-author of the acclaimed Vietnam War book 'We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young,' which was the basis for the movie 'We Were Soldiers.'"

https://www.stripes.com/news/special...7#.WbBB92eWwuQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_L._Galloway
Old 09-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
And Galloway picked up a rifle and fought in that battle.
Ronnie
Old 09-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Skilled

I have received the hard copies of the Sentinel issue and will be mailing them out this week. Here is something interesting...

The issue has gone everywhere and has been very well received. I have mentioned and shown picture of Dr. Lonny Holmes, editor of The Sentinel, retired heart surgeon at Univ. of Southern California Hospital, 44 months in combat Special Forces, SE Asia, Thailand and Vietnam. John Stryker (Tilt) Meyer is now president of the Special Forces chapter and is a MACVsog veteran of Vietnam and a published author. Joe Galloway is a highly decorated reporter from numerous wars, especially Vietnam, co-author of We Were Soldiers Once... and Young.

Mr. Galloway was prominently featured in episode 3 of the new communist propaganda series "Vietnam" by Ken Burns et. al. (This series is so one-sided and so erroneous, at least in its military coverage, it is embarrassing and upsetting. One would think the US Army was just committing atroicities, being ambushed and dying accomplishing nothing. It is a travesty... End editorial...)

Tilt Meyer traveled to meet Joe Galloway to be interviewed about events in Vietnam. He also gave Mr. Galloway a copy of the Sentinel with the Hal Moore article. Below is the E-mail Galloway sent to Tilt about the article. It should be of interest as he talks about his personal regard for a Randall knife.

Date: September 22, 2017 12:15:22 PM PDT
To: John Meyer
Subject: Got mail
Reply-To: Joseph Galloway

John:

Your mail parcel arrived safely. Read the article about Hal Moore and his Randall knife with great interest. Sorry he lost it in that move from Korea. If I remember Korea correctly he is lucky he got ANYTHING from his household when he landed at Fort Ord Calif. Those slicky boys could and did steal entire TRAINS AND DOZENS OF FREIGHT CARS loaded with USA goods.

I always lusted after a Randall knife but never had the bucks needed to buy one and never had an opportunity to steal one. I still don't have the bucks to buy one as I see them advertised for sale at $650 and UP these days. Maybe someone will die and leave me his.

Anyway. Thanks for the newsletters. I whiled away a pleasant hour or so reading and rereading the Hal Moore knife piece.

Ref travelling back to San Diego to speak to your chapter: not any time soon. I am on road till mid-November. We shall revisit this invite in FEB or MARCH when the cold winds are blowing here in the North Carolina Piedmont.

Thank you for a fascinating interview. Worth it all for your story of that upside down helo extraction in Laos!!!

Best

Joe Galloway

On another note only marginally related to this post, Lonny Holmes is going to the White House next month. A medic on his A-team in Vietnam, close friend (Lonny was best man in wedding) is getting a DSC awarded in Vietnam, upgraded to the Medal of Honor. It will be presented by President Trump and Lonny will be in attendance. I'll post the pictures when received for those interested.

Last edited by Jacknola; 09-25-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:30 AM
Skilled

Congratulations once again Jack. Also to Lonny Holmes for the upgrade.

You are tireless in your research and it does not go unnoticed by me. You are one of the very few who do this purely for the historical value, and not for a quick buck that most everyone else on some of these forums are after.

My hat is off to you Sir.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 PM
Steel Addict

We ought to pool some money together and donate a Randall to Joe.
Ronnie
Old 09-29-2017, 07:13 AM
Steel Addict

Jack,

We received the 2 issues on Thursday....on behalf of the RMK shop we Thank you for your service to our country and for the donation of the copies for the museum. They are so well written with way more information than you could even tell us about here...again, very well received here, Thank you
Old 09-30-2017, 01:11 PM
Skilled

Hey Jack,

I received my issue as well, and just wanted to thank you once again for thinking about me! Spectacular job as usual!

TB
Old 09-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
We ought to pool some money together and donate a Randall to Joe.
Ronnie
I have a new in box standard configuration Model 1-7" that I would be willing to bring to the shop and have etched. The shop cost, including shipping was $410. I can't eat the cost of the knife, but if the handful of people who actually participate on this forum chip in, it would be doable!
Old 10-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Skilled

Bill, I think this is a very worth while project. Joe Galloway is an authentic and a soldier's reporter, not a shill for the NYT types, etc. I will commit $100 for a knife for him. If we get enough to send him the knife, I'll forward his address along with a check. You are a good person to coordinate this. I believe bringing people like Joe Galloway into the Randall list can have only beneficial effects on our collecting world. Thanks

Scott, thanks for the kind words and I am very gratified the articles were well received at the shop. It certainly adds a lot to my interest in history and collecting historical wartime RMKs to know that others appreciate the shared information. Regards to you and RMK.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:20 AM
Steel Addict

I would be honored to donate knowing that in doing so it will go towards a Randall for Joe Galloway. How cool is that.
Ronnie
Old 10-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Skilled

Jack, I received my copy of the Sentinel article that you wrote.
Well done, and a great contribution to Randall history!
Thanks so much.
In your article, you mentioned that the story of Gen. Gavin and his Randall appeared in a 1943 issue of life magazine.
Would you happen to know what month and week that article appeared?
Again, great article and research Jack.
I would be willing to contribute to the knife as well.
Regards, Sam
Old 10-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
I would be honored to donate knowing that in doing so it will go towards a Randall for Joe Galloway. How cool is that.
Ronnie
Gentlemen, if you could contact me privately, either on here or my personal email address, which you all have, I can figure out how much we still need to get this to happen!

So far it's:

Jack

Ronnie

SamG

Myself

Thanks, TB

Tags
army, awesome, blade, buck, case, collecting, comma, deployment, germany, handle, interesting, knife, leather, military, movie, need help, post, randall, sheath, small, stag, stag handle, stone, vietnam, wwii