MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Steel Addict

belts for The Grizz

I am going to get the grizzly 2x72 in the near future and was curious how much belts cost for it and what types to get? I dont mind paying a little more for a belt that will last longer if it is actually worth it. what grits will be the most useful? I will be using the sander to do my handles as well as the blades. what places are the best to order them from? I have ordered sandpaper in the past from supergrit.com
Old 11-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Tru-grit

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 11-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

With belts you get what you pay for. Best advice I ever got was to treat belts like they were free - you can't do good work with a worn belt. As for what belts to get, ask 5 guys and get 5 different answers. In the long run, try every type of belt that you think might be useful according to how you work. To start though, a good basic group - and all I ever use - would be 60 grit VSM ceramic, 120 Norton, 220 Norton, 400 Hermes. That's all you need. Learn to use those and then branch out if you feel the need.

Tru-Grit has more variety in belts than any other source I know of and their prices are as good as you can find www.trugrit.com

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Steel Addict

1. 2x72-50 R980P Blaze Plus Ceramic
2. 2x72-36 980P Blaze Plus Ceramic

can you explain the difference in these belts? I am guessing that #1 is a 50 grit and #2 is a 36 grit. what does the "R" indicate in belt #1?
Old 11-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Steel Addict

1. 2x72-60 XK885Y Ceramic vsm $6
2. 2x72-120 R980P Blaze Plus Ceramic norton $7
3. 2x72-220 X65 U936 Norax Engineered Ceramic norton $12
4. 2x72-400 RB346MJ Aluminum Oxide $3

do these look good for the first round of belts?
Old 11-05-2016, 12:52 PM

You're right about the 50 and 36.

VSM 60 Ceramic
Norton R823 120X
Norton R823 220X
Hermes RB406 400 JF

You'll need more of the 60's than the other belts. On a small order I usually get 10 60 grit, 5 120, 5 220, and 10 400 ....

Old 11-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Guru

Use the $3 AO for wood only and do not mix wood and metal belts either.Ceramic for metals. Norax 220 is a good belt for finishing hardened steel. I use the cheaper AO belts for wood as it lasts a lot longer and a rubber belt cleaner does a good job on them, not so much on metal. Tru-grit has some discount Value ceramic belts for a little cheaper and J-flex belts are well, flexible and are good for fitting into curves. I don't think you have enough there. Get a value ceramic 36 or 40 grit for doing the initial grinds on new knife.
Now this is just me me Kyle, but nevermind my using an angle grinder, lets suppose I'm making a small knife, I grind it close to where I want to be after I make my marks on it with a 40 grit and then pop up to 60 and the 80 then 120 and finish with 220 leaving about 10% or better for after heat treat. HT and has scale on it, OK I use the 220 a bit to see if its going to work, if not I'll drop down to 120 and back to 220 and then 320 and finish 400 Trizact. and do the rest by hand sanding. Just me Kyle, other guys are going to differ some. Oh, after HT I use ceramic only

As for what the R stands for you'd have to ask True-grit who have excellent Customer Service btw.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Guru

Should we tell him to get a blue scotch brite belt Ray?

At the very end of the lists for 2x72 is the value belts, read the descriptions Kyle as some are different. You will see carbide belts and 15 micron, 1200 grit, belts. A whole bunch of differing belts and confusing, but don't worry about most of them. They have their place I have some micron belts, but all they really do is shine they don't remove much and I use cutting fluid soaked in a rag to clean them. Carbide belts are for wet sanding, something I can do as my motor and electrical isn't near, but I use very little water, just barely a drip drip drip... I use it on quartz geode flats. I also have a polypropylene cart it sits on so cleanup is easy. Like I said every maker is different I know one who uses the zirconia for wood only. I use it for metal.

Last edited by jimmontg; 11-05-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:19 PM

ScotchBrite belts are great, I use them a lot, but they are expensive. If Kyle can afford it then fine, but most likely he'll have enough expense just getting the grinder set up. Just one of the many things he may want to try in the future ...

Old 11-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Guru

Yeah, they are expensive, but they last a long long time or until some newbie tries to grind edge up with them and it grabs the knife and busts, slapping the dude all about the face.

To any and all who use a Scotch Brite Belt, NEVER grind edge up, or worse point into a Scotch Brite belt or wheel. Always grind down and away. ALWAYS!
Old 11-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Steel Addict

Ok, I am planning to order 4-6 of each belt I listed but I will revise my list to get 10 of the 60 and 400's as well as a few of the AI belts for wood. Would 120, 220 and 320 be fine in AO for wood? I was thinking a couple Jflex belts in 320 for wood as well. You guys mention cleaning the belts.. how do I go about doing this and what cleaners should I get?
Also,I plan on getting a pyroceramic platen. I have read about the general idea of how to install it but there isn't a detailed guide that I can find anywhere. I gather that I need to somehow remove the old platen, make a metal stop for the new one and glue or tape the new one on.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 AM

The inexpensive brown AO belts are fine for wood in the grits you mentioned. You should probably try them and see what you think. Speaking only for myself, I tried them but found that the other belts I suggested worked just as well for my handles so I decided not to spend the extra money for the AO belts. One reason for this might be that I use only stabilized wood, Micarta, and G-10 for my handles so your experience may be different.

It is absolutely essential to put a metal stop at the bottom of the platen. Don't remove the platen, just add the stop. The stop is nothing more than a piece of metal about as thick as the glass that you pin or screw to the platen to make sure the glass cannot slip down if your adhesive fails. I chose double sided carpet tape for the adhesive. It gives the glass a slight cushion and it is easier to remove than epoxy...

Old 11-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Steel Addict

Do you know offhand what size platen to order for the grizzly?
Old 11-06-2016, 10:54 AM

No, but it's one of the largest platen's I've seen on a standard grinder. I think it was close to 9" long. But, the ends of the platen are bent back a few degrees so you'd probably want a shorter piece of glass than that. Anyway, don't get in a rush, lots of knives have been made on a Griz without a glass platen. Get yours, measure it, and go from there ...

Old 11-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Guru

Here is a link to an abrasive belt cleaner at Ace Hardware Kyle, do you have one of those near you? They are $8 and when your belt starts to get clogged up you run it lightly across your wood use belts, I can't say that it works very well on metal belts as much. It does a little if you're sanding scale off, but it doesn't sharpen a worn belt it just unclogs them. It helps to run the cleaner across before use, just run it lightly across as it's supposed to lubricate the belt. I have noticed the belts don't get clogged up with wood as much when I do.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1345033

Last edited by jimmontg; 11-06-2016 at 12:13 PM. Reason: addition

Tags
2x72, advice, angle, art, back, belts, blade, blades, blaze, grinder, hand, handles, heat, heat treat, how to, knife, make, making, metal, sander, sanding, scale, small, steel, wood