MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Guru

Idea to raise heat

hey guys so as i have said before i just got a new propane forge. i was playing around with forge welding a stack and see if i can get a pattern out of it. but anyway i notice with this new forge it has trouble getting the steel stack to that real yellow color it kinda hovers right on the border of bright orange and just a lil bit of yellow. i actually sent the guy that made this forge a email a lil while ago cause i have seen one of his vid's and it seems to get yellow a little bit easier so maybe its me i am probilly missing something. but this is a round forge with a inside diameter of 5 in and length of 10 in. so i was thinking if i dont need all that space for this project say i added some pieces of fire place brick so maybe instead of it being 10 in long i add brick so its like 6in or 7in long. or even if i cut the brick to the right sizes and stacked them up the sides so maybe i could bring the diameter from 5 in to say 3 in. So in my mind (m mind doesnt always translate to reality well) if i add these bricks it would bring down the volume of the inside of this forge and therefore the burner has less space to heat up and it should be able to get hotter. Yes? No? like i said this kinda works in my head but my brain doesnt always get along with the real world. any thoughts on this or any thoughts at all on how to get a lil more heat out of the forge would be appreciated. THANKS GUYS

oh one more thing maybe some one can clear this up what is the best way to tell if the steel is at forge welding temp....some people say when it gets real yellow others say when the flux is dancing around but both of those are different i found flux to dance around at bright orange not real yellow.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Skilled

There's a few things that come to mind. I'm assuming you are using a naturally aspirated forge. First, increase the propane pressure. If that doesn't do it you might adjust or make a choke. And finally, I looked to see where your location is. Since naturally aspirated forges don't work as well at higher elevations it might not be capable of doing what you need.

Here's a test. Take 2 pieces of 1/2" round stock and place them in your forge. Bring to to red and flux then put back in and let them come to heat. Touch them together. If they stick your at welding temperature.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Guru

thanks. one more question i have ......say i go through the whole process meaning heat flux heat hammer. is there any way visually (or any way for that mater) to know if the forge welds are good and have stuck? i welded the corner of the stack and welded a rebar handle so that will hold it togather so its not like if they stay together its good cause the regular weld holding everything togather. any test with out destroying the stack.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Skilled

Unfortunately, to know if it's welded your gonna have to put a little stress. Drawing it out will usually find the bad welds when you flip it up on it's side and start pounding on it. If it does delaminate brush, flux and see if you can get it to stick. There's a learning curve to doing Damascus. Don't expect your first billets to be perfect.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Guru

thanks guys and no i dont expect for any of this to come out perfect at all but with alot of reading, watching video's and help from everyone here i hope to get it as good as can be first time out and if not hey at the very least its a learning experience gota start somewhere right?

Tags
art, back, burner, damascus, fire, first time, forge, hammer, handle, heat, hot, how to, made, make, pattern, project, rebar, steel, video, welding