MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Steel Addict

Stainless steel vertical welding forge!!!!

Well it's finally finished! Cured the refractory last night and gave it a hot run today. My pyrometer maxes out at 2395 and I know this forge is hotter than that. I'm amazed. Such an even heat! And the metrikote is awesome! Just wanna thank Ed Caffery for the info and pics, wayne coe for the supplies, and everyone here who answered all my stupid questions!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Good job! I would do one thing however, replace that ceramic insulation with some insulating board or make a slab of refractory cement to replace it. The matting has been heated to the point that when it breaks down, as with being handled, it will release little needles of ceramic that can take up permanent residence in your lungs. Put on a respirator, and a long sleeved shirt wouldn't be bad, and double bag that matting up and dispose of it. Shower afterward.

Doug

Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Steel Addict

If you want the stats...
12" stainless steel sch 40 pipe, 16" long split down the middle. Then 6" plate welded in to make the oval shape. 3x3 box tubing openings front and back. (Thinkin I should of went atleast 4x4 or bigger) the bottom has 3 soft fire bricks then I poured 50lbs of refractory over/around them. 1" of wool for the walls then covered in over 1/2" of refractory. I used 2-1" pieces of wool for the lid and just set a plate on top to hold them down. Coated everything but the floor in Metrikote IR. the burner has a 1960's 2" brass gate valve I got at work from a re-piping job. 2" elbow. Then a 2"-1 1/2" reducer with 12" of 1 1/2" going into the forge. A Goss regulator. I have a 1/4 globe valve (which works pretty well, don't know if its as good as a needle valve since I've never used one. Thanks Ray) for my fuel adjustments and a Swagelok ball valve. Everything is stainless except the 3x3 box tubing (hard to find that stuff) and the old school gate valve. I'm using my bounce house blower for the air supply (thanks Doug)
Old 07-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Steel Addict

Doug, I coated it in Metrikote. I was following the pics I got from Ed, that's how his is. I see your point thou. I think I have enough refractory to make a top. There's already almost 100lbs in it already, what's another 30?!?!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Skilled

That's what I was talking about Naboyle! Thanks for the pic. It looks like it is putting out some BYU's!.

What does your pyrometer look like, and where did you get it? Cost? I need one to see if my forge is hot enough to weld damascus. Thanks and enjoy!

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Tony, I've found pyrometers on Ebay and Amazon. I think that the last pyrometers I purchased were from Ebay, though I might be wrong. They came without thermocouples, which is not a problem because I have never seen them come with themocouples that can operate up to 2300? on Amazon. What thermocouples that I got are ceramic shielded and I know that I got them from a seller on Ebay. Just watch that temperatures they are rated for and the that they have a connector that is compatible with the pyrometer. You can also check at a supply house that sells kilns and kiln related equipment.

Doug

Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Steel Addict

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=199
Here's where I got mine. I got the higher temp thermocouple with ceramic shield. But I have since seen ones just like it on eBay that was cheaper. But this companies customer service was great. My ceramic sheath broke soon as it went in my forge,(guessing it had a hairline crack during shipping) I emailed them and within 3 days I had a new one at my door. Here's a link about pyrometers from the ABS forum. Lots of good ideas and info here too...http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ip...275-pyrometer/

Last edited by Naboyle; 07-01-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added another link
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
Tony, I've found pyrometers on Ebay and Amazon.
Thanks Doug, I will look there and see what I can come up with. Something new to learn and experience from!

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

Tags
awesome, back, bee, blower, brass, damascus, fire, forge, heat, hot, make, products, sheath, stainless, stainless steel, steel, supplies, supply, weld, welding