MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Skilled

This is a good point about heat, but I did the engineering behind it.

The main reason for my choice of enclosure was the ingress protection rating. I chose a NEMA 4/IP65 rating (sealed), because I didn't want any dust getting in whatsoever. This also meant I'd need a large enclosure.

All enclosures have inherent heat dissipation properties. Even non-metallic ones, although they suck at it, have a K factor between 1.5 and 3. The published heat loss of my VFD is 81.4 Watts. I didn't want the inside of the box to ever be more than 10?C (18?F) above ambient. On other words, on a really hot day, I didn't want it to go above 50?C (122?F) inside the box.

What it boils down to (pardon the pun) is surface area of the enclosure, the K factor of the material, wall thickness and the difference between inside and outside of the box.

As empirical research, I put a small digital thermometer inside the enclosure and ran the grinder at various speeds and loads for about 45 minutes. I was able to observe a 4?C (7?F) temperature rise at around 20?C(68?F) ambient. That was good enough for me.

As a backup, the Yaskawa VFDs have a fixed high heatsink temperature alarm that will shut the VFD down if it gets too hot. This is for then the fan fails.

A enclosure rated NEMA 3R would have afforded me a much smaller enclosure with a fan, vents and filter(s), but dust will eventually get in and yes, eventually kill the fan. A steel NEMA 4 enclosure is the ideal way to go, but ultimately more expensive.

I hope to have some of the q' formula and example calculations on my blog one day.

Dan
Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Skilled

Here is 5 Photos of mine . http://imgur.com/BSMnVIc,Untvt0L,9Bv...Ba9M,TRNNnj2#0

as you see in the first two photos the box is where the controller is housed , the bottom has a 2 micron filter under the controller where the fan pulls fresh air in to the box . the 2nd photo shows the unit sealed and is closed up . the 4th shows the "exhaust vents cut @ a 45 Degree" up-ward to expel the air . My KMG Clone is Built Extremely heavy with modifications to suite / help me with its us and very little to no maintenance at all . using the best of the best while I redesigned it and the bearings and moving parts making them all serviceable and most important I use "Molly Grease" the motor is a sealed unit as well .

your grinder looks good . Should you or anyone need any help with building one feel free to ask any questions . If I can help , I will .

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 07-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Skilled

That's a great looking machine! Very heavy duty construction.

Dan
Old 07-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Skilled

Thank you , and yes it is a hoss ! she will eat steel quit fast .

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Yates View Post
Here is 5 Photos of mine . http://imgur.com/BSMnVIc,Untvt0L,9Bv...Ba9M,TRNNnj2#0

as you see in the first two photos the box is where the controller is housed , the bottom has a 2 micron filter under the controller where the fan pulls fresh air in to the box . the 2nd photo shows the unit sealed and is closed up . the 4th shows the "exhaust vents cut @ a 45 Degree" up-ward to expel the air . My KMG Clone is Built Extremely heavy with modifications to suite / help me with its us and very little to no maintenance at all . using the best of the best while I redesigned it and the bearings and moving parts making them all serviceable and most important I use "Molly Grease" the motor is a sealed unit as well .

your grinder looks good . Should you or anyone need any help with building one feel free to ask any questions . If I can help , I will .
that's a beauty of a grinder brother Yates !!

Old 07-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Skilled

Thank you Brother Rob , I hope to have My New Shop finished and get things set up in it in a few months . I have a big slab of PW Steel to attempt to beat into a 32 in blade with an 8 in handle when things are set up to run . it is NOT going to be very traditional though . I have wanted to do this build for well over 30 years and the PW steel has been crying to me to finish it for a few years now . Yes I will do a WIP on this for those that have been looking to see my work .

Old 02-02-2015, 11:44 PM
Skilled

The latest attachment. Grizzly 10" pressed on some 3/4" DOM tube and set in 3/4" pillow blocks. Total bill about $150 with freight.

With basic How-To and Bill of Materials on my blog.

Love that Scotch-Brite belt too!

Dan
Old 02-03-2015, 08:19 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Looks terrific! Did the Grizzly wheel run true and smooth or did you have to tweak it ?

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Skilled

The wheel itself appears to be fairly well balanced. Of course, I had to align the bearings and ensure the shaft was perpendicular to the belt path, but nothing more than some small alignment tweaks. Gotta love the price of it!

Dan
Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

Do you have schematics and parts list for the controller set up? I have been wanting to do something like you have. Very nice work.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Skilled

I have the schematic published already:

I have not published the BOM for it yet, I could tidy it up and toss a spreadsheet up somewhere and link to it.

Dan

Tags
2x72, back, bee, belt, blaze, build, building, digital, diy, grinder, grinding, hot, kit, knife, knives, made, making, material, motor, post, steel, surface, tools, vfd, wheels