MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 08-26-2002, 02:16 AM

Question about one of the contest rules

Just wondering, is it alright to enter a Chris Reeve or a Randall knife in the photo contest?
Old 08-26-2002, 07:04 AM

I don't think anyone will ever end the on going battle of rather or not they are custom knives or factory. I would say go for it! Then send both knives to me for a two to three year evaluation of their merits so I can confirm my judgement.

Old 08-26-2002, 07:34 AM
Founding Member *SysAdmin*

I don't want to cross that line, because we will then have to apply it to all the forums. It has been discussed before and the intent is clearly to help knifemakers take pictures of their knives that sell knives. Of course, the contest is open to all custom knife enthusiasts. If the maker of the knife cannot become a member of the Guild, the ABS or the PKA, I would generally say they are not a custom knifemaker.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

"Kind-hearted people might think there was some ingenious way to disarm or defeat an enemy without too much blood. This is a fallacy." - Carl von Clausewitz
Old 08-26-2002, 09:19 AM
Administrator

I've thought about this one hard. Forcing that rule is costing our collectors additional entries, guys that just want to shoot some knives and be a part of the action. At some point, most people just run out of qualified knives to shoot, even makers at times. I think we should consider the rules of our forum as they affect participation, and never set a standard that limits participation. I agree about selling knives on the right boards, or discussing them in others, but I'm really leaning in favor of allowing anything, butter knives from WalMart for instance, within the context of the photo contest.

We don't want to limit what a guy is allowed to learn, and this rule is limiting their participation, hence critiques and image examination. We've been at this a while and it seems that when guy's have a new knife, they're in ... otherwise, they're forced to watch and not participate.

What does everyone else think?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 08-26-2002, 09:32 AM

Personally I agree with allowing production stuff. My simple (and selfish) reason is like Alex said, some of us just run out of knives to shoot.

Some of my production shots, as well as other peoples can still serve as learning tools that apply to all knives.

I could re-shoot my customs and stuff, but to be honest it gets a little boring and I lose motivation.

Hey, I have some killer CRKT and Becker shots

Anyways, I'll follow whatever the final decision is....just giving my opinion.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Yeah ... I've got a few Becker images, too!
More at 11 ...

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 08-26-2002, 01:31 PM
Skilled

I seem to remember this dicussion happening a while back and back then the consenous seemed to be that this is the "Custom Knife Directory" not the "Custom and other knife that may or may not [prob. not] be a custom knife directory"

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 08-26-2002, 01:43 PM

As far as sales, discussion of custom collecting, the "custom" is where it's at. We are definately not into discussing the current production models, etc. Wrong Venue.

But when discussing the photography end, I think that we should be slightly looser. The emphasis is good photography and composition more than what knife is being photographed. If you have "Customs" all the better. But when I finally get to shoot photos, I personally own 1 "Custom" knife. Hopefully, I'll be making my own soon but until then it would be nice to shoot what I have to learn.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Bob Sigmon

Last edited by Bob Sigmon; 08-26-2002 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:15 PM

I held back on this one, but Alex, Bob, Richard and Terrill have the same opinion I do.

Bob and Jerry make a valid point, and I *like* having structure. Nonetheless, I need to stand back at times. ....Oftentimes!

Like anything, it can be taken to an extreme degree, but I would cross that bridge when we get to it.

Who the heck wants to see a #### factory knife anyway? Sheesh... Bring em on!!!

Coop (who has plenty of non-custom's around, too..!)

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-26-2002, 02:18 PM

Well, while it would still be very valuable to have production knife photos for the simple reason that everybody can learn something about knife photography, it looks like the decision would be much to divided.

I was not aware that the "main purpose" was clearly to help knife makers take better shots for sales. I was under the impression that it was to help us all learn to take better knife pics, silly me.

I think it would come down to the fact that even if somebody entered a production knife whose photo rivals that of Weyer or Point7, some folks would not vote for it only because its not a custom....regardless of its educational value.

I think Ive photographed all my customs until I just cant do it anymore. I thought of retouching some old pics that I have done of customs for other people, but again I cant stand to work on the same old stuff anymore.

Probably best to forget I asked.

I will still enjoy seeing future entries and voting on them though.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:12 PM

Richard,

I'm glad you asked.

I think that "one purpose" of the contest is to help makers take better pic for their web sites and postings. I mean it is the CKD. But at the same time, it is for all of us to learn to take better photos.

Whether or not someone votes for your photo of a "production/semi-production", they still have to look at it. And we'll still have the benefit of the critique afterwards.

Like guns, if you got'em shoot'em!!

Bob Sigmon
Old 08-26-2002, 04:59 PM
Skilled

Richard, don't take my post the wrong way. This was covered before and the consensous was no factory knives http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread....hlight=factory
If this is to be changed so be it.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 08-26-2002, 10:11 PM

No sweat Jerry. I remembered that thread but could not find it...thanks for the link.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:46 PM
Steel Addict

Well !!! I don`t belong to the Guild, ABS or the PKA
but I make Knives. So what the hell am I then:confused:

Old 08-27-2002, 10:58 PM

From what I've seen, you're just a great knifemaker. So keep on posting away!

Bob Sigmon

Tags
forge, knife, knives