MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Registered

Damascus Steel Composition?

I have two custom-made folding knives made of Damascus steel, each of which is of a different composition.

One is made of 200 layers of 1095 and 15N20 steel, the other of 200 layers of 1095 and 15N25 (manufactured by one 'Perkin', if that means anything to anyone). They're both intended for everday use such as when fishing, opening boxes, the odd task in the garden etc.

Will the fact that the latter contains 15N25 steel instead of 15N20 make it superior at all? And are these Damascus compositions of decent quality in the first place, regardless of the skill of the smith?

And when it comes to sharpening them, I have absolutely NO idea what edge to aim for. I am a complete novice in this field, but from what I understand the blade's hardness determines how sharp an edge it can reliably hold. What would you all suggest for these knives?

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

I would not use damascus carbon steel knives for fishing and garden jobs; they will rust quickly. it is better to use stainless steel.
Sergio Segre
Old 08-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I have to admit that I am totally unfamiliar with 15N25. I know that Bohler Uddeholm produces 15N20, and after an exhaustive search, both of BU's website, and through google, I can find no spec sheets/information on 15N25.

I've been making Damascus steel for a lot of years, and have never heard of 15N25 until now....that gives me a moment of pause, and makes me wonder if it's either a ploy, or a mis-type by the maker. Without any specifications on it, I simply cannot say, one way or the other about it.

I do know that 15N20 is essentially nothing more then 1075 steel, with a 1.5% nickel content. In Damascus this gives it the characteristics of of a single steel, with the laminate appearance.

The statement about the skill of the smith puts all bets off. The skill of the smith is EVERYTHING when it comes to Damascus steel. You can have the very best alloys available, but if it's poorly worked by the maker, it will be worthless as far as performance goes.

I echo Sergio's advice....I would not be using a Damascus bles for a fishing knife, or garden chores....unless you are committed to take very good care of it....cleaning and oiling/waxing immediately after each use.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
1095, advice, bee, blade, cleaning, custom, damascus, edge, fishing, fishing knife, folding, knife, knives, made, make, making, sharpening, stainless steel, steel