MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennie View Post
I get the error message on the albums Projects and Big Bear for me.

dennie
Same here!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I verify Dennie's Projects and Big Bear, same for me ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Steel Addict

I am not sure if you call it an error message it comes up as this"

vBulletin Message

Like the others I got the message on two of the names, the first two pictures. Projects by Airth, and Big Bear by angelooscotti!

The rest open up where I can click on the individual pictures, and view them in a larger version.

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 11-20-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM

misc knives just did it for me too.... and the pic is the exact knife I was looking for. just FYI for you guys, this is one of the main reasons I don't come on this site much anymore. I feel like I am being discriminated against somewhat... nothing personal
Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydancer View Post
misc knives just did it for me too.... and the pic is the exact knife I was looking for. just FYI for you guys, this is one of the main reasons I don't come on this site much anymore. I feel like I am being discriminated against somewhat... nothing personal
I feel like I am being discriminated against somewhat... nothing personal

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An oxymoron is a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms.

FYI if its the picture thing that is making you not visit the site then as you can see everyone is experiencing the same problem.

These kind of sites are for everyone's benefit, occasionally you have to overlook the preverbal jerk who thinks they know something about everything, when in reality they know little about anything.

I have learned a lot from several different forums, some I just listen and some I post quite extensively on. Learn from the questions you ask and that others ask. I try to look at it this way the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. I try to impart advice no matter how many times I have seen this same question asked. I am still new at this and don't know all the answers either and when I get to where I know it all...................

Other than that all I can say is grow a thick skin and man up ! nothing personal

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 11-21-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 AM

C Craft,

It's not the picture that makes dirtydancing feel discriminated against, it's the fact that he clicked on a link that told him he wasn't authorized to go there when there was no apparent reason for him to have been excluded. Being that he has misinterpreted the problem and feels unwanted your comments could have been made with a bit more tact.

Dirtydancing,

Everyone is welcome here as long as they remain civil and play by the rules so we hope you won't let this misunderstanding run you off. There is no place on these forums where you should find yourself excluded except for the rare spots where you might have to pay to attend a class. What you ran into is a glitch in the programming of the forum software and it is currently being addressed.

So, BEFORE this conversation devolves into a brawl and/or feelings get stepped on let's calm down, step back, and restart. Everyone is welcome here, especially if they are willing to think before they speak ....

Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Administrator

I think that I have it figured out.

The problem was due to the automatic promotions system that we use (in an attempt to automate the control of spammers). The images/albums that were non-viewable had been posted by users prior to the advent of the automated promotional upgrade, where a user now has to be a registered member for (x) days and have (y) number of posts to qualify for automatic user account elevation.

Prior to using member promotions to upgrades users automatically, we allowed first-time users with (0) posts to create photo albums where they could upload their images. A couple of users signed up for new accounts, posted a bunch of photos in their newly created albums, then didn't post any (or posted too few) thread messages after that to qualify them for the automatic upgrade, etc. Without posting messages to to meet the qualifications for automatic upgrade, their member accounts were frozen at the lower status. When we changed the posting qualifications for photo albums, causing them to kick-in after the basic account graduation had occurred, their view-ability was suspended as well.

I've tested them on a couple of newly created user accounts and they appear to be working fine now. But if everyone could please confirm that I've got them all, I would appreciate it. There may be other basic-status members who have albums that I didn't catch yet. The way that I'm fixing them is to manually upgrade those users to higher member levels. This allows their photos and albums to viewable by all.

--------

PS - Many of the hassles that you run into on this forum are failures due to attempts to automate spam control. Please don't take anything personal if you find that your access is limited, or if you think that you should be seeing something that you're being blocked from. Chances are, it's something that we've missed or haven't discovered yet.

Closing question... (assuming that the basic problem is fixed)

Should I start a thread on how (and why) to use photo albums and thread photo thumbnails at KNet?

I notice that the vast majority of posters don't have photo albums, nor do they post thumbnail images on their threads. Considering the number of views that these get, it might make sense to address the issue for those that want to use them, but may be unsure how to get started.

I'm happy to help... let me know!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast

Dang puter thingies. Thanks Alex and keep up the good work. yes please on the thread.

"Designed for the saddle from the saddle"

www.horsewrightclothing.com
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
C Craft,

It's not the picture that makes dirtydancing feel discriminated against, it's the fact that he clicked on a link that told him he wasn't authorized to go there when there was no apparent reason for him to have been excluded. Being that he has misinterpreted the problem and feels unwanted your comments could have been made with a bit more tact.

Dirtydancing,

Everyone is welcome here as long as they remain civil and play by the rules so we hope you won't let this misunderstanding run you off. There is no place on these forums where you should find yourself excluded except for the rare spots where you might have to pay to attend a class. What you ran into is a glitch in the programming of the forum software and it is currently being addressed.

So, BEFORE this conversation devolves into a brawl and/or feelings get stepped on let's calm down, step back, and restart. Everyone is welcome here, especially if they are willing to think before they speak ....
Ray no harm was meant. I meant the whole comment as tongue in cheek humor. Truthfully sometimes you have to have a thick skin. I have had my feelings hurt on some of these sites but I figure if that is all they hurt it is in no way permanent damage! After all I was the one who reported the problem about the pics. I didn't take it personal I just took it on myself to ask the question. Why I was being denied!

The thing I hate the worse is being treated like a dumb newbie. Or the off comment, "you need to do the research"! More often than not I have already done the research, but was unable to find the answer I was looking for.

I done construction since I was a bout 14 years of age. But when you ask me a question about construction no matter how dumb I might think the question is I always try and answer it with out making you feel that way. So that is my philology on the subject!

Like I said my comments were all meant to be take with a grain of salt and too be humorous. Now I never said tact was one of my stronger suits. I have been known all my life as one that if you don't want a truthful answer don't ask the question!

However if offense was taken by what I said I do apologize!

C Craft
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Congratulations to Alex!

I don't know how you ever figured that out. ???
Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Steel Addict

It may just be but I went to the photos at top of page and still having trouble seeing four or five of them!

C Craft
Old 11-21-2011, 03:43 PM

C Craft,

Please give Alex a some specific examples of the pictures that cause the problems ...

Old 11-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Steel Addict

Here are a few of the pictures that I have a problem with opening ( Glenn1022- Coal Forge), ( Brenton- Australian Silky Oak), ( Williw- P1010328), (Angeloscotti- Dropping 20), ( Lever Sailor-420 Layers)

Jeff
Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
C Craft,

Please give Alex a some specific examples of the pictures that cause the problems ...
OK but don't these pics at the top of the The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions change randomly?

by Glenn1022
: Knife set 2
collection...

by chiefneckofred
: Butler Knives 45

by javo_br
: EDC 004

by RONALDO PUCCI
: IMG 0303

by Brenton
: Letter...

by jeffbuzzz
: knife 004

I copied the tittle of the ones that gave the message this time!

vBulletin Message
C Craft, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
You are registered, but not currently sububscribed for this advanced feature. more info
Log Out Home Subscription

C Craft
Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Sorry, guys... I quit manually upgrading them after page two. We have a cron job that runs nightly at 11:30pm that upgrades all qualifying accounts automatically. I knew that we had it figured out when we found that there was no job for upgrading "KMG Users" to the next level "KMG Member". I was going to let the cron do the cleanup on the remaining accounts tonight. I came by to check it tonight and everything looks good to go.

Please verify, if not!

PS - upgrades are automatic when you post. The more posts you make, the more storage space, tools and other things you'll get. All basic members get a free photo album, so, even if you're a basic member, go ahead and post some photos for us to see. Once you get a few posted, we'll show you some tricks that you can do with them.

Thanks for the input, fellas! ... and sorry to missing the error for so long!!

How about a big hand for Craft for speaking up!!!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
art, forge, knife, knife making, knifekits.com, knifemaking, knives, newbie, post, software, switchblade