MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:59 PM
clarence a page

kydex press to form kydex

Anyone have any ideas on how to make a cheap press for kydex forming. Help I need some help.

Page
Old 01-23-2002, 04:51 PM
Sam Wereb

bttt... me too!
Old 01-25-2002, 10:40 AM
SIGGI

Check out the thread A Kydex Question

It should cover many question and give you a few ideas.

Bob Sigmon
Old 01-28-2002, 12:52 AM
newtlivesay

For everyone here that has posted to me on the e-mail and with letters, phone calls, etc. here is the information you have been waiting on about the KYDEX VIDEO.

KYDEX THE VIDEO or "everything you every wanted to know about kydex and were afraid to ask"

This video is in it's last stages of editing, and information can be obtained at the following site.

members.tripod.com/~Newt_Livesay/KYDEX-VIDEO.html

If you have a problem linking the site go to www.Newt.Livesay.com and follow the signs.

Best regards;
Newt Livesay

Old 01-28-2002, 02:23 AM
RWClark

OK great, but how long is the video. Or how long is it expected to be?
Old 01-28-2002, 05:04 PM
newtlivesay

Does the length of the video determine how good the service is or how much you will learn?

At present we are trying to edit it down to about one hour. More than an hour we think that you might loose control of your funtions, and flip out from information over load

Newt
Old 01-28-2002, 06:12 PM
RWClark

Well, yes and no. I doubt that I would learn much from a 20 min video. At an hour plus I have a larger chance of picking up tips and ideas. The longer and the more info it contains the better the value. And at the cost, it ain't cheap. As to overload, great. The best time I ever had was watching a 40hr series of videos on the forging and furnishing of a Japanese Aikuchi.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:36 PM
newtlivesay

I can understand the over load.

When we first started to do this video we looked at selling it for about 49 to 59 dollars US. The cost of production which was really nothing had some to do with the price, but the idea that we are furnishing our competition a very well kept secret. You will learn how to work KYDEX, where to get parts, how to built a mold, and other little tid-bits that we learned the hard and expensive way through a number of years of trial and error. You will make your money back in 3 or 4 sheaths.

Second some people or going to make copies of this video and sell them to all their buddies. This will cause us to have to send someone over with a "writ" or a "ball-bat" and then we will have to pay attorney fees for one reason or the other.

In other words the price of $99.00 is nothing. What do you charge for a knife that cost less than say $15.00 in material to make? The cost of the video is nothing in the scheme of things when it comes to making the knife. It doesn't take hours to learn this process. It doesn't take a hundreds or thousands of dollars to make the knife molds either.

If you think that the video is to expensive then I would not buy it. It is that simple and I am being that straight forward to you. I do not beat around the bush, and some people do not like my way of telling it the way it is. In other words I am not politically correct in my speech. I do not buy anything that I think is to expensive, and I do not want anyone too buy this tape if they think it is not worth their time or money.

If I can be of service and you want to order the tape, then give me a call or FAX us.

Thanks;
Newt

Old 01-29-2002, 12:48 AM
RWClark

Thats OK, I can't stand PC BS anyhow.

I only said that it ain't cheap, and it ain't. Don't mean I won't get it. Of course I will! Anything to be able to stop putting out $70 every time Blade Tech does a custom job for me.

If I am able to fine tune my work to Blade Techs level, the video will be a steal of a bargin. After all its less than the cost of two sheaths. Thing is, I can make a realy good small sheath but anything over 5" blade and I can't make a Kydex sheath to save my life.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:24 AM
newtlivesay

RWClark;

Thanks for the reply. I am glad that you understood that I was doing a little ragg'en on you Ron in the post above.

Ron when you get through with the video you will be able to make a sheath for a 8 foot KATANA sword.

I am going to show you how to mold plastic like the big boys do. Once you know the basics you are going to be amazed. An example of this is that a major knife company on the East Coast (New York State) wanted me to show them how to mold KYDEX and make sheaths. A large manufacturing company that makes Acrylic-PVC sheet had offered to sell them the equipment to make their sheaths for $120,000 (US). I told them that I would save them 116,500 dollars if they wanted me come to their factory for 3 days and help them get set up. You are going to learn a lot from this video Ron, and I do not think that you will be disappointed.

Newt

Stay low, and stay safe;
Newt

Old 01-29-2002, 09:30 AM
SIGGI

Newt,

Sound like a great tape!

As soon as I free up some cash I be orderin' the tape.
Thank for your effort in putting it together.

Bob Sigmon
Old 03-12-2002, 04:00 PM
Mark Boyer

Kydex Site

Go to my Web Site for some free information and illustrations on Kydex sheaths. I learned from asking questions and shyed away from the guys trying to make a quick buck on what should be free.

Mark Boyer
Boyer Blades
www.eskimo.com/~boyerbl/
Old 03-12-2002, 04:30 PM
RWClark

Re: Kydex Site

Why should it be free! If knowledge were truely meant to be free, then all the taxes for the school system and all the college fees would be gone.

Why is it so many guys feel they have some right to the knowledge that others have paid for in time and materials. If you want to offer up your knowledge thats great. But don't even think of insulting those who feel that they should get something back.

If you would have simply stated that you had some information on your site it would not be an issue. But to insult Newt is WAY OUT OF LINE! I strongly advise you to step back a moment and reconsider your statement.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:48 PM
SIGGI

Re: Kydex Site

Well put, RW.

I am new to knifemaking and need all the help possible. Many people have given me tons of advice free, but I have to compile what I get and sift throught it all. On the other hand I have purchased similar information already compiled, CD's & Videos, that convey information much more quickly. These efforts are way above the specter of Free. And for the energy expended the cost is cheeeeeeeeep.

Both are valuable, but don't get down on someone for getting something back for the effort of providing what I consider a needed commidity.

BTW, Nice site Mr Boyer! Lots of good information!

Thanks,

Bob Sigmon
Old 06-08-2002, 12:41 PM
coonass boy

thanks for the wealth of information and the willingness to help!!!!!! i tried to find the video, but aint havin' no luck.... can you give me an update or an easier way to find it , i'm computer stupid sometimes....thanks

Tags
blade, forging, knife