MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:45 PM

Epoxy Question

I tried a search for this and did not see a post which answered my question (It was probably there, but if it was, I missed it....my wife always yells at me for that).

I am new to the hobby/obsession and have made a few knives so far and this is a first.

I was just finishing a SG4 Trailing Point when I noticed that the scales had started to "pull away" from the tang. I used cocobolo & mosaic pins (rather than the screw/pins provided). Before I epoxied the scales, I first wiped the blade and the scales with mineral spirits to remove any oils and made sure they were completely dry (blew them with compressed air).

Any thoughts or suggestions on how or why this may have happened so that I can hopefully avoid this in the future? The mix was good (I think), as it is still adhered to the scales, but the epoxy did not adhere to the steel. :confused: Could this have happened when I was sanding the steel and scales (overheated the metal)?

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-10-2004, 08:16 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
It could be that you overheated the metal. Heat will cause epoxy to soften. It could also be that you didn't rough up the tang. Epoxy needs some "bite" to stick. It doesn't stick well to smooth surfaces.

Do either of those things sound possible?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 11-10-2004, 08:35 PM

Jamey,

It didn't dawn on me to rough'n up the tang anymore than it was, I just figured that the pins would have added enough to bite onto. Next time I will "rough" sand the tang and possibly add a few gouges or grooves for additional bite.

Also, I will pay close attention to heat build up.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:08 PM

There are a couple of things I have done that might help. I actually take a file and score the tang. This gives the added teeth for the expoxy to bite into. Also, I have had mineral spirits leave a slight residue. It doesn't seem to clean the metal as thoroughly as I would like. I find that by using acetone, I get a cleaner surface.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:51 AM

jager,

Thanks, I give acetone a try rather than min. spirits.

Eric

Tags
blade, knife, knives