MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 12-14-2002, 08:25 AM

Lock Tite Your Pivot Screws

Hi Folks,
I had a email from a person that was having problems with the pivot screw coming loose after assembly.

Take red or blue locktite and apply it to the pivot screw to stop the screw from loosening up after using the knife.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:12 PM

Good tip!

Here's another:

I'll add that if you want to put a *real* small amount on those scale, bolster, and liner screws for the same reason, put a drop on a hard surface and use a TOOTHPICK to daub it on the threads. It don't take much!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 12-14-2002, 03:17 PM
Steel Addict

loose screws

Hey guys , Try the hard as nails finger nail polish on those small screws. It keeps them in place and easier to remove.
Roland
Old 12-20-2002, 04:06 PM
Steel Addict

I use LockTite brand #222 and #242. Clean, dry screws and holes (I use acetone) Apply with a toothpick, you don't need much.

These two forumla numbers are "field removable" Some of the high speed machines I work on won't run for long without this stuff before they start throwing screws at you. I have never had one fail to let loose.

As I recall the 222 is for small stuff and the 242 for 1/4 inch and up. I use them interchangably with good results.

My eye Doctor now uses the 222 on the hinge pins in the frames, Can't thank me enough for the tip.

Old 06-27-2003, 03:03 AM
Skilled

Lightbulb

Good advice from all! I'm a Balisong whacko.., and use the red Loctite (262) quite a bit on models with adjustable screws.

For the "Typhoon".., of Darrel's kit design..., I'm using 242....(or what we generally call "Medium-Blue" Loctite), since I'm constantly taking them apart and goofing around with the design dynamics. As mentioned by all.., it just takes a teeeeeeenieeee bit applied with a toothpick to get desired results.., so don't overdo any of the "Thread-Lockers".., and make sure the threads are clean and dry. <~~ You don't want to have Tuf-Glide, Militec-1, etc..., on the threads when you apply thread-locking products.

If you don't have an Industrial grade heat-gun.., and haven't fooled around with Loctite much, I'd go with -BLUE- until you dial in exactly what you want in pivot dynamics. Much easier to deal with.

You can "back-off" the tension with either the Blue, or Red Loctite after the curing period.., [if applied properly], but RED/262 can be some tough going if you don't have very good tools.

Look at some specs ~~~> -Here-..., and do some searches. These people make some cool stuff..

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 06-30-2003, 09:55 AM

Pete,
Thanks for the help with lock tite application.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

On the rare occasion that too much red Locktite leads to a captive situation, a little heat from a cigarette lighter will help to end the standoff.

Forgiveness......the sweetest revenge.

Last edited by Paladin2443; 09-26-2003 at 05:31 PM.

Tags
balisong, butterfly knife, knife