MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 PM

restore or not

Ok the million dollar question from the new kid on the block, do I restore or not? I have talked with several and got a divided answer. Most say leave alone origional even if tarnished is much better that buffed and polished out. What seems the best answer so far was , if knife is damaged, sharpened down or broke restore it, if not damaged or broke leave it alone. As I said I am the new kid started collecting about a year ago. I buy what I like and not any 1 type or brand , if it looks neat I pick it up. Also looking for a good current price guide I have picked up several on E-Bay but the newest is from 1995. It seems easy to get info on Case and most big name knifes its the little brands I dont find much on. Thanks for letting me pick your brains I will be putting some pictures in soon This sight is just plain old sweet lots of stuff for experts and us beginners
Old 06-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Steel Addict

I think there is a lot to be considered before you can make that decission.

1st. Are you intending on keeping the knives for your personel use and collection or to resale?

2nd. What shape are the knives in?

3rd. How rare are the knives?

4th. Are the knives signed, stamped with makers mark?

If my intention is to keep the knife for myself, I will make it look the way I want.
If I may want to sell it later I will do only repairs that are needed.

If the knife is rare and could be of greater value then I might expect, I leave it alone untill I get some interest in the knife, and at that time I would base my decission to restore or leave it alone on the commets that I receive.

If the knife is signed, has a ser. no. or makers mark never do anything to interfere with those marking.

A lot of people will dissagree with my approach, but again I love knives and keep most for my self without intent to sell, but just in case I do I follow those rules. They work pretty good for me.

Jeff
Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

The value of an antique is destroyed by re-finishing the piece.

On the other hand, if a knife is already too messed up to be an antique or is not really a collectable, then by all means restore it (or fix it up) to be in useful shape. While there are some objects that are best kept in pristine condition, most guns and knives were meant to be used and are just a waste if they are not used - and if they are not usable.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Registered

"I have a WW2 knuckle knife, with D-guard, New Zealand/Aussie made. The AKE/REGD makers mark is on the blade, but I can not find anything to compare with. I have interested buyers but no one will talk money until I can authenticate it. Can you point me in the right direction?

Tags
antique, blade, block, brand, collecting, easy, guard, hand, knife, knives, made, make