MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:34 AM

Hi all,

tnx a lot for all the information! Much appreciated! Back to the drawing board now for attempt 2.

Maybe one question though, in your experience, what's the best way to cut the steel? Plasma? Simple steel saw? Circular saw? I think I have the wrong material as I'm sawing my ass off these days...

greetz
g

Gys
very new into the noble art of knife making
Old 06-25-2015, 05:56 AM

Stainless is usually tougher to cut, saw and drill because the alloy mixes tend to make it "gummy" when annealed. I do hope you are only trying to cut annealed steels. Hardened/heattreated steels will just wear out your tools. Hand sawing stainless is a pain and requires sharp quality saw blades.
Would take a side grinder with a cut off wheel over circ.saw, but good quality metal band saw is most commonly used. Never had access to plasma so can't say, but should outdo a hand saw.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Skilled

What everyone else said. It's a pretty knife, and a nice fluid design.

IN addition, I'd suggest you picked a difficult blade profile for a beginner to start with. I'd suggest a more traditional straight edged blade profile to practice your grinds on, and face the fact that you're probably going to ruin a few until you get your groove down. I know, the urge to jump right in and do something unusual is strong.

I submit that with such a radical blade profile, you could be setting yourself up to learn some bad habits you'll have to break yourself from later.

So, I'd try some standard style blade grinds first, get your habits and scars settled, then venture into these weeds again.

It's a cool looking skinning/caping blade (If that's what you meant it for), but would definitely benefit from a couple of pins. When epoxy fails, it always does so at the worst, most inconvenient time.

Save this piece, and then revisit it in a couple of years as you've advanced in skill, make another in the same vein. You'll be amazed at what you've learned.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
...you picked a difficult blade profile for a beginner ...
Hi Cthulhu,
tnx for the feedback, I only realized the difficulties while working on the blade (?nd I don't have professional material, so it's a bit iron-age-work-environment). I hear ya about starting with a regular blade, I'll take your advice into account for attempt 3 (attempt 2 is in the making, it's a clip-ish blade). I luuuuuve the look & feel of skinning blades by the way, and I would like to say it was intended, but it was a freehand drawing to create "something" with 10cm steel I had , but, in my darkest moments, I'm a bit proud of the result, ?nd I still have my fingers and my face

(Cthulhu, like in The Call of Cthulhu? "A monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Stainless is usually tougher to cut, ....
Tnx Carl for the feedback about the cutting, it's a pain indeed. I'll try the side grinder later this weekend, need to get a blade first. I'll check with the shop owner for some cooling oil, as I already obliterated two drills...

sincerely
g

Gys
very new into the noble art of knife making
Old 07-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Skilled

("Cthulhu, like in The Call of Cthulhu? "A monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind.")

They say on the internet no one knows if you're a dog, and it's boring down here in R'yleh. So...Hobbies!

Old 07-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Skilled

If you want to cut strait lines and have an angle grinder get some slicer wheels for it. They are the best thing since sliced bread. (airgas pn 64000806) I gave you the pn if you aren't sure what they are. A plasma will do it, just remember you get a hardened zone around the cut.

I don't do anything fancy like that, as I much prefer a narrow tang design. That comes with its on issues.

Tags
art, ats-34, bee, blade, epoxy, first time, forge, gun, handle, heat, heat gun, hobby, homemade, knife, knives, making, material, scratch, sharp, simple, small, stainless steel, steel, stone, tang