MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Steel Addict

Full face respirator

Does anyone use a full face respirator? I think I need one. I just want to make sure I get one I can wear for 2 or 3 hrs at a time.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Yes, several of us do, me included. I have a North full face respirator, which cost less than the 3M model. The only problem that I have with it is that the face plate does distort what I'm looking at slightly but that's not often a real problem. Most of the time I see well enough. The only other problem that I had was that I broke one of the rubber straps on the harness and could find a replacement from North. What I did is get a replacement harness from 3M and switch out the clips on the harness. The rubber strapping looks to be just about identical except for the band name on them.

Doug

Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Skilled

If I could afford one, I certainly would.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I had one but scrapped it after a while. They don't all work the same and maybe the one I had didn't work like yours will but I didn't like it.

First, when the lens gets scratched - as they all do - you have to replace it and that's not as cheap as I would like it to be. Second, you need an air supply for it and to be really useful the air needs to come from outside your shop where the grit and crap is being generated. Maybe yours will have filters that you think will help but, if it does, how is it any different than a less expensive and more convenient half mask?

Finally, and this was the big issue, mine worked 'on demand'. That means air was only fed into the mask when you inhaled, similar to using scuba gear. This will tire you out much faster than breathing through a half mask.

Many of the new masks have little battery powered air pumps with them. Fine, if your air supply is clean and you don't have to 'demand' air. But, if you're thinking of being clever and using your air compressor to supply air you might want to rethink that idea. The air you get will be loaded with oil from the compressor and you have to drag air lines around wherever you go, not fun.

So, if you decide to spend the big bucks be my guest but use what I've mentioned to evaluate the mask to be sure it will do the job the way you want it done ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Master

Not gonna get any cheaper than this, at least with 3M. If you can afford the replacement lens covers, get them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-6900-FULL...item3f1e1293de

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-6885-LENS...item2ec4cadfce

An alternative is a half face with safety goggles that form a seal, such as:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/dugowielst.html

I think there is a tiny gap under the nose piece, but otherwise works nicely.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Master

And I've had no trouble with wearing myself out breathing. The bigger problem is stretching your jaw out after 3-4 hours
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Hall of Famer

No, the big problem is when your nose itches .

Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Or when the phone rings ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Master

Or when the UPS man needs a signature on a package
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Steel Addict

I may try the dust goggles first thanks for the input
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Signing for packages!? That part of the fun of answering the door wearing a full face mask. It really scares off the missionaries.

Doug

Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Hall of Famer

I wear a 3M half mask respirator with the cartridges--similar to the one in your avatar. I have a full face shield that I wear over the top of that for protection from flying debris.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Or when the phone rings ...

What, you don't answer the phone, "Death Star, Vader speaking." ??
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Steel Addict

I'm with NJStricker on the 1/2 mask. You have to remember 1. You can't have a lot (none is better execpt a mustache) of facial hair you won't get a good seal. 2) If you loose weight you may have to change sizes. 3) you (MUST) do a positive and negative test (google it) when you put it on EVERY time. If you don't you may not have a good seal. 4) Make sure you have the right filters (particulate) in this case. You will know if you don't have a good seal if you smell something while wearing one. If you are wearing one for chemicals you will probably need a chemical filter (they make combination Filters). DON'T go cheap on your mask, make sure it's NIOSH approved, not some crap from china. I could go on... i have worn all different kinds of masks for work, APR, PAPR, Supplied air. Please take the time and research you choice, call the company ect.. I can't wear a large in certain masks, but some masks i do, different companys. We are fit tested another thing about size is if you frown, talk, bend over, turn your head if it's not a good fit it will create openings in your seal. If you find it's harder to get a breath, it's time for new filters. Just trying to help out.
Clay
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Something I will add here. A few months back we had safety training for work, and part of the training regarded disease transmission. The latest studies showed that the simple dust masks that people wear to avoid the flu do NOTHING to prevent inhaling bacteria (though they do decrease germ release through exhalation).

Bottom line--if a dust mask isn't keeping bacteria out, it sure isn't going to keep out toxic fumes (like you get grinding on G10, micarta, or stabilized handle material) or other fine particulates. Get a real respirator.

Tags
back, battery, block, g10, grinding, handle, make, man, material, micarta, package, simple, supply, tiny