MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Enthusiast

!!!!! I never thought I'd get to do one of these because I only make kitchen knives!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCROB View Post
wow you don't mess around , you get at'r quick !!
Not really BCRob, I just happened to be grinding the KITH Heat Treat blades that Ray asked for 6 mo's ago and decided to just cut out a couple choppers and profile them. I am actually one of the biggest procrastinators around!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Steel Addict

I would love to get in on this but I won't be able to say yes for sure for at least a couple weeks. here's a 9" D2 chef knife I did months ago.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Midwinter, well now you can!

Icho, you can say 'yes' right up until the last minute as long as you have enough time to produce a knife.

Make a nice clean knife but don't get carried away by getting elaborate or fancy. Remember that this KITH is aimed at beginners who will be likely to produce basic knives so when it comes time to swap that may be as close as you can get to what you put in....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Steel Addict

Good to know Ray. Right now I have quite a bit of catching up to do. I will be going to my first show in a few weeks so I want to make sure I have something to bring. Its a free table so I have nothing to lose but lots of experience to gain.
I was planning on doing my first stainless blade in the near future anyway so this kith could be the perfect opportunity and motivator.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 PM
Enthusiast

Smile

I am so in! Forging one out of cruforge and am ordering some 440c to grind one out of....might as well do a personal comparison as well. Super excited.

Last edited by Midwinter; 01-15-2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: auto correct shenanigans
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM

Midwinter,

If you mean to compare the 440C to the Cruforge then pay the extra dollar and have the 440C put through cryo, give it a fighting chance ...

Old 01-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Skilled

Ray,

I'd like in on this one. I have my oven up and running and would like to do the HT myself.

It's probably been asked before... Any issues with sending a knife across the line? Or some ridiculous postage? Whatever I get from the hat would have to be sent up here to Canuckland as well.

Dan

Old 01-16-2014, 03:29 PM

I've sent knives all over the world including back and forth to Canada, never had a problem. The postage isn't a big obstacle but if Canadian Customs wants to put a tax on it that will add to the cost. Anyway, don't let that keep you out. When the time comes we'll solve any problems that might come up even if I have to ship the knives myself....

Old 01-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Skilled

Sounds good!

Dan

Old 01-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
I've sent knives all over the world including back and forth to Canada, never had a problem. The postage isn't a big obstacle but if Canadian Customs wants to put a tax on it that will add to the cost. Anyway, don't let that keep you out. When the time comes we'll solve any problems that might come up even if I have to ship the knives myself....
and to add Ray shipping to the states is no problem........

Old 01-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast

suggested

Ray - After some dialogue I've decided to give 13c26 a shot in tandem with cruforge, if it's getting cryo may as well go all the way.

Seeing as there is some necroposting going on and some new standards may have come to light since their inception; I'll offer some advice to other participants....once you decide on a knife style and steel, Google "xxxxx(knife style) choil shot" and read any commentary and opinions. This will provide some insight as to what top makers do to compliment different knives for different purposes. Also, for the sake of folks that use a pinch grip, consider rounding the spine and choil.

I promise I'm a noob (less than a dozen knives completely finished) but I got into bladesmithing out of the frustration of spending thousands on disappointing kitchen knives.
~Jason

Last edited by Midwinter; 01-18-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 AM

QUOTE: I got into bladesmithing out of the frustration of spending thousands on disappointing kitchen knives.

See? This is what I was trying to get people to understand about kitchen knives. There are lots of people out there who take their kitchenware very seriously - that translates to 'money to be made' for us. Many of my customers bought more than one kitchen knife from me, one of them bought about two dozen! He is very serious about kitchen knives and owns over 600 custom kitchen knives! If you ever want to make money at knife making don't ignore kitchen knives ....

Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Living Legend

I got into knife making because of my love of cooking. There are so many styles and histories involved with them. You can spend you whole life dedicated to them and still be learning something new every day.

I met some knife maker in Japan that do just that. Their entire life is making kitchen knives. The amount of respect these men receive over there is up on the level of the men who use to make swords for the samurai. One of them actually was from a family that made swords and he treats the knives he makes with every bit of the respect his ancestors gave the swords.

Jim

Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Steel Addict

Decided to go with a wharncliffe type paring knife design. Roughly 7 3/4" total length 3 3/4" blade and a 4" handle. Trying to decide between a simple chisel grind or a regular two sided grind who knows if it turns out worth a darn might might both of them. Picture to come of the mock one I did this morning once I get it resized to fit in the thread. Hope everyone is having a good time with this.

Tags
440c, art, awesome, blade, edge, education, forge, forging, hamon, heat, heat treat, kitchen knife, kitchen knives, knife, knife kit, knife making, knives, made, make, micarta, newest, stainless, stainless steel, steel, thickness