MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Steel Addict

warthog tusks

Hi Guys,
I just finished a couple of bowies with warthog tusks. I personally like the material. It works well, has a nice mix of subtle colors, and feels very solid in the hand. My question is, where does warthog tusks for handles stand in the hierarchy of handle materials. Obviously, it's not as valued as elephant, walrus, mammouth ivory, but it is still ivory. Does it fall below African Blackwood or ironwood, or above those fine woods? Where would equally fine knives, one with warthog ivory and one with ironwood, be valued in the market? Equal value? Or would you put a higher price on one or the other. I'd appreciate your opinions. As soon as i can take some pictures, I'll post the knives so you will have a better idea of how the warthog ivory turned out.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 11-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm not sure warthog tusk is ivory, it may be a tooth. Someone will come along with a better memory than I have and clear that up for us.

Meanwhile, take the cost of a tusk relative to the cost of other materials as your guide in deciding where it falls in the hierarchy. After that, it's a matter of how well a particular knife turned out. Many warthog tusks have a very pronounced curve in them and that will affect the value of the knife for some people. A really strong curve isn't the ideal shape for a knife handle for most people, after all.

In summary, ivory or not it isn't a rare material and it's moderately priced, so it's value in the end will come from the idea of having a knife with such a handle and the overall appeal of the resulting knife ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Ray,

I assumned that since hippo tusks are ivory and also a tooth, so too warthog is ivory. Your points about how well done a knive is done is always a given in my book. The curve can be well managed by using the middle portion of the tusk. In that way, you get a smoothly dropping handle which provides a good grip.

It could be, and probably is, a niche material which appeals to certain people, but not all.

Again, thanks

Dave

Old 11-05-2008, 01:17 PM

Actually, hippos have tusks and teeth, just as elephants do. I'm still not sure about the warthog but hippo teeth are quite different to work with than hippo tusks. Teeth have dentine shells and fairly soft interiors while ivory is about the same consistency all the way through and has no hard outer shell. I'm sure there's even more to the differences than that but at least those are the high points.

I had some good sized warthog tusks but, even as large as they were, I didn't feel there was a piece in there that was straight enough for a handle. I like curved handles but that was a bit too much curve to suit me. Also, the outer surface of the tusk seemed hard, more like dentine, to me which is what prompted my comment that maybe it isn't ivory after all ...

Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Steel Addict

Wart hog tusks are ivory, same as hog tusks. The value, that's another issue. I am not sure about that one. Sure would like to see some pictures!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Master

Last photo I'd seen was a meat carving set that had been rehandled with Warthog tusks. Looked rather nice but the curve doesn't look too practical !
Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Steel Addict

Morning Fellas

I will try to post some pictures this weekend, after I go under my house and get whatever critters are
under there. Think its opposiums, but not sure.

One thing about the warthog tusks. If a guy is on a fixed income, like me, and wants to work with ivory, then warthop is one of the cheaper ones. A big tusk goes anywhere from $40-70 bucks. I've worked with hippo also, and like it. Hopefully, someday I'll find a huge mammouth tusk buried in the back yard!

Dave

P.S. Whats size do I reduce my pictures to in order to post?

Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 AM

Dave,

A few of us like myself have extremely slow dial up connections of about 16k. One of the drawbacks of living far out in the boonies, I guess. So, for that reason, pictures that are under 100 K are the only ones I will be able to see as anything larger will take all day. Other than my particular gripe, some people have posted some very large pictures so I'm not sure if there is a limit....

Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Master

There are only 3 real ivories in the world (not counting mammoth or mastadon). They are elephant, walrus and strangly elk tooth (just 2 per elk). No other material is ivory. That is one of the reason real ivory is expensive as there are bans now in place on Walrus and Elephant.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast

This may help clear things up

Taken from Wikipedia
Ivory is formed from dentine and constitutes the bulk of the teeth and tusks of animals such as the elephant, hippopotamus, walrus, mammoth and narwhal.

The chemical structure of the teeth and tusks of mammals is the same regardless of the species of origin. The trade in certain teeth and tusks other than elephant is well established and widespread, therefore "ivory" can correctly be used to describe any mammalian teeth or tusks of commercial interest which is large enough to be carved or scrimshawed.

Teeth and tusks
Teeth and tusks have the same origins. Teeth are specialized structures adapted for food chewing. Tusks, which are extremely large teeth projecting beyond the lips, may give certain species an evolutionary advantage.

Tusks are modified teeth, both of which share the same physical structures: pulp cavity, dentine, cementum and enamel. The innermost area is the pulp cavity. The pulp cavity is an empty space within the tooth that conforms to the shape of the pulp.

Tooth and tusk ivory can be carved into a vast variety of shapes and objects. A small example of modern carved ivory objects are small statuary, netsukes, jewelry, flatware handles, furniture inlays, and piano keys. Additionally, warthog tusks, and teeth from sperm whales, orcas and hippos can also be scrimshawed or superficially carved, thus retaining their morphologically recognizable shapes.

References
^ C.Michael Hogan,Silk Road, North China, The Megalithic Portal, ed. A. Burnham
^ Martin, Steven. The Art of Opium Antiques. (2007). Silkworm Books, Chiang Mai
^ http://www.asianart.com/articles/thai-ivory/index.html Ivory Carving in Thailand Retrieved on 08-30-07
^ Tomlinson, C., ed. (1866). Tomlinson's Cyclopaedia of Useful Arts. London: Virtue & Co. Vol I, pages 929-930.
^ Ivory sales | Round the horn | Economist.com
Old 11-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Master

I guess I stand corrected. Have a friend who is an estate appraiser and he told me that. Will have to correct him. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Guys,

I guess we are clear on what "ivory"" is now. I've only worked with hippo and harthog, but both shared the same strutures.

On a separate subject, I've been making knives part time for about five years now, and I've always enjoyed doing so; but in the past week I finished two sheaves. These are the first I've done, and even though they aren't perfect by any means, I can't tell ya how it feels to not only do a knive, but the complete works. And yeah, I'll post picts of the complete package soon, just hope you guys don't laugh me out'a town.

Thanks All,

Dave

Tags
knife, knives