MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Steel Addict

Not sure if this is the right spot for this

Evnin

I have been trolling this site for about a year now, and finnaly got the courage to make a post. I am extremly new to knife making ( I have at present only completed 1 knife and only with loads of help from my Uncle ) I am looking to make further progress with, well.. with what can only be described as this new obsession and to maybe talk to knifemakers in GA.

At any rate thanks for listning

James
Old 09-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Skilled

James, I think you found the right place. This is the hangout for the Georgia Custom Knifemakers Guild. We have meetings about once a quarter, and members and guests attend with all different skill levels, from not being able to prove ever having made one, to having lost count many years ago. All of us share an interest in knives and learn something every time we get together. You would be very welcome. Our next regular meeting will be the winter meeting held at the Twin Blades shop in Statesboro. The date has yet to be set, but it will be in February of next year. There will be a good number of Georgia Guild members with tables at the Great southern Knife Show in Marietta on the 13th & 14th of October. Stop in and introduce your self. Carl Rechsteiner (CRex) is our President and will have a table. Charlie and I will be there at the Twin Blades table. There should be several others in attendance as well. This is a good group of knifemakers that love to share what they have learned in hopes that we will also learn from others. These forums are a great place to pick up information, but seeing and doing it first hand, when you can, is the best way to learn. If you get down towards Statesboro, give us a call. We would be glad to show you what we do and walk you through our shop.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Skilled

James,
I'm just down the road in Wqatkinsville. Give me a call at Costa's Cleaners 706-769-9024. Your welcome anytime at my shop.

BTW how 'bout that ballgame last night?
jc

GEORGIA CUSTOM KNIFEMAKERS GUILD / CHARTER MEMBER
Old 09-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the responce guys, Wow and jc your so close . I will be looking forward to the knife show (Thats what sick days are for right ?> ) I have never been to one before. A lil about the little experience that I have so far. My great Uncle has been making knives for several years now, about a year ago I asked if he would begin showing me the craft. After loading me up on half a library worth of books we got together and focused on full tang knives( I really think I would like to get into folders ). I have been drawing and cuting blanks out on my bandsaw. Sadley; However, this is where the process has ended I was hoping someone might have a link to a site that may have instructions on making a belt grinder, as new ones are way out of my price range and none of the re-tool stores are able to keep them in stock. As if have said before Im EXTREMELY eager to learn more. I know i shouldnt claim the 1 knife that I made or got in the way trying to help make, but there is no better feeling than seeing that finished product that used to be nothing more than a black stained bar of steel.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys

James
( WOW so need a spell checker )
Old 09-24-2007, 10:33 PM

Hey James, welcome to the forums. You have a fish on! Tighten your shoe laces and set the hook!!
Many of us just got back and have been unloading anvils, hammers and forges from a weekend of hammering fun up at Trackrock. It was a great extended weekend for me and I think everyone had a pretty good time (check out adjacent threads). Just the kind of event an aspiring knifemaker can get the most from. Lot of talent and skill sharing going on in every corner. I feel the Trackrock experience (although not a Guild function) epitomizes the mission of the Georgia Guild. We are there, gathered to learn, share, and enjoy the craft. You are always welcome and encouraged to attend.
This is the same with the Gerogia Guild. You will not find a better way to network with others in this craft from all different aspects of the trade. And......you will not find a better group of folks to do this with.
If you can make it over to the Great Southern Knife Show, please be sure to stop by and introduce yourself. Also don't hesitate to hook up with my brother JC (Costa). He'll take good care of you and he's a fun guy to be around.
Harry's invite to the Twin Blade Shop is not one to be taken lightly. The Twins are tremendously talented, have a very well appointed shop (envy there) and are true southern gentlemen. The winter meeting there is like a great mini winter vacation, not to be missed.
Please do not be hesitant to step in, the water's fine, the fishing excellent.

ps - I'm a Georgia Dawg - Class of 71.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 09-24-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives