MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:02 PM

55 lb. Anvil

The Denver Harbor Freight store currently has a special on a cast iron 55 lb. anvil for $29.99, good thru Dec. 13th. This seems like a very good price, so I got one. It measures 7 1/2" high, 14 3/4" long and 3 1/2" wide. Made in China, of course.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Slo cat,

The Harbor Freight cast anvils are better than a sharp stick in the eye, but not much. After you use it some you?ll see why. A cast anvil will dent easily and the face will cave in eventually. It could also crack or break.
I have heard them referred to as the POS anvils, boat anchors and door stops.
You would be better off finding a large chunk of steel or a section of RR track to use as an anvil.

Sorry if I burst your bubble,
Joe

Old 11-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
I have an older Harbor Frieght ASO (anvil shaped object). 55 pounds made in Red China.

I made my first several knive on it. And I still use it a demo/teaching anvil on the road and hardy tool holder at home.

It dents pretty easy. But other then that it has held up pretty well.

However, I'm sorry to say, that the ones I saw at my local store lately were no where near as good. The current batch don't even rate as ASO's. Just misshappen lumps of soft metal I'm afraid.

The 100 pound anvil is better. In that at least it is steal (the 55 is cast iron).

However, spend a little more and check out the small Austrian anvils at oldworldanvils.com. I'm planning on gettting the 75 pounder for my new travle anvil. The other tools I have gotten from them are first rate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 PM

Smile

Thanks, Scott. I appreciate your positive suggestions and I visited the Old World Anvils site.

Best Regards,
Slo cat