MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Skilled

Thank you guys for all the opinons, it helps a lot to make a right desision that I won't regret later.
Have you guys ever seen used KMG on eBay? What they go for?
I 've been monitoring eBay for 3 weeks and so far I have not seen any.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 08-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to John T Wylie Jr
have you checked the BAKCA website ? there were a couple BADER3 , not variable speed up there for sale recently for about $1000. not sure if they are still available or not though...

http://www.bakca.org/images-mw/w-sto...bader-ad-1.htm

Old 08-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Steel Addict

Ray........Griz?......i thought those was black bears. If any body hasn't checked out Rays web pages, you should, very entertaining.

i never saw a KMG on E bay but I have seen a couple copies. seen treadmill motors and controls fairly cheap also. My suggestion would be to buy a good file and send me the other $480.00......I'mma savin up for a grinder myself. Seriously though.....just starting out your gonna need a few tools and since your not at the point of makin a living making knives. You don,t need to whip out a bunch of blades each day. So i would go with a decent cheaper grinder even a sears. maybe a bandsaw or drillpress with the money left over.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Skilled

I do have a drill press I bought recently and just love it. Way better than hand held drill I used to use.

The reason I want to move up is that I am not happy with the results, especially with longer blades. It's really hard to make a nice flat grind on 1"x42" grinder I have.
If not people on this forum I would think it's just a lack of skills but after spending some time on this forum I am convinced that a good grinder is also very important.
Even I am not a full time knife maker I still want to make nice knives and enjoy the process and the result.
I hate working with bad tool. Makes me cranky.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:20 AM

Allow me to give a nod to the Multitool II available through TKS.

I set mine up on a mandrel with a variety of pulleys for variable speed. There are pictures here somewhere. It also has the advantage of a serated contact wheel which is not available on the Griz or the Coote.

Easy tracking and platten adjustment--integral disc sander--very solid...

It is made to mount to a variety of bench grinders. So, if you go that route, you can do all your buffing on the other side of the grinder.

Great space saver!

My 1HP variable speed set-up cost about $500 total give or take. TKS sells the attachment for $325. If you want the 1HP JET grinder with it, it's $495

Good luck in your selection! I found grinder set-up to be quite fun!

Andy
Old 08-08-2005, 02:26 AM

Just a note on treadmill motors. They are not sealed. Dust will get all up in the guts unless you are very creative with your set-up.

I know there's a guy on ebay who sells these motors with a variable speed control pretty cheap. He advertises that they are great for grinders. Hmmm... Be careful.

Andy
Old 08-08-2005, 02:30 AM
Skilled

I like Multitool II. I am just concern about smaller belts 48" vs. 72"

What do you guys think? Is 48" really looses that much compared to 72" ?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:52 AM

The 48" length won't cool as fast as a 72", but the serrated wheel will promote cooling much better than a smooth wheel. It also allows for longer belt life and better cutting action.

I know there are as many opinions as there are grinders...
...this is just mine.

Andy
Old 08-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
It is good to kick things around. Hear all kinds of different opinions, weigh the pros and cons and price vrs. performance. Just about every person here has some kind of tool useing backround. Think about the tools you use on the job. Are they cheap ass China crap, or top of the line professional tools? If you were a machinist and your boss said, "Hey, you are gonna be using this habor freight milling machine" you would say "You have got to be kidding" A bunch of makers started out with a Grizz, but not many still use them. If you can afford a 350 dollar profiling machine go ahead and get a Grizz. If you are working toward being a full time maker, or are a hobbist that wants to make high quality stuff, buying the best is your best bet.

If there was a cheaper route, the thousands of minds here would have figured it out by now.

Even the best homemades approach the cost of a KMG. Watch the tool sale forum here for used KMG's, but they hold there value pretty close and are not customized to your needs. If someone gives one up, it is for a dire need. The true beauty of the KMG is in the availability of the "knife making" attachments. These can be added as money comes in, and you can end up having five machines in one unit.

You don't really know until you have a hands on experience with both. Try to work it out so you can try them both. Only then can you see for yourself that the quality of work you can put out with a variable speed machine far exceeds a high speed hogger.

Just my opinion, don't get mad, Weigh your options and deside for yourself.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Again I'll say the Griz is no match for the KMG. But, the Griz iz not without it's strong points. My griz sits next to my $2000 variable speed JL and when I want to flat grind a large blade, guess which one gets used.....right, the unstoppable Griz. The Griz can do hollow grinds on small blades but it is not the best machine for hollow grinding. It probably isn't the 'best' for flat grinding either but with it's large platen and high torque it's well worth the money if flat grinding is your thing.

After I had used the Griz a while I eventually did change the wheel to a serrated wheel. It helped the machine run smoother and is an advantage if you do decide to do some hollow grinding on it.

Aside from that, you seem to enjoy good tools and are in knifemaking for the long haul. For that reason alone i would have to agree with Roc and say if there is any way to stretch your budget (get financing, credit card, whatever) the KMG would be the way to go....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Skilled

I am convinced. I am saving for KMG basic setup like on the picture.
KMG sells the motor for $219. I've seen somewhere on this forum people mention buying
motors on eBay for about $100. Can somebody tell me what motor exactly I should be looking for(comparable to KMG's motor)?

Last edited by alexkuzn; 12-27-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Steel Addict

You do have a point, good tools makes a big difference. Mr fink's KMG design is hard to beat. Its Simplicity of design and sturdiness is what makes it a great machine. You realy can't beat it for the money. For A couple hundred more then the $500.00 you have now you can get the basic version then as you go you can upgrade it to varible speed and the different attachments. Or if you can weld you could fab a simalar frame as the KmG by using 2" x 1/4" walled square tubing and 1 1/2" square bar stock. you would need to weld the tubing to the uprights and weld a nut to the tubing for the lockdown bolt. just make sure the seam in the tubing is the side you drill through for the lock down bolt. Then buy the wheels and platen assembely from Mr Fink, you arn't gonna find none better for any price. His price for the shaft and bearings is very reasonable also. this is just a suggestion to strecth that $500.00. The flat grinding platen is more versitle then a contact wheel and contact wheels are pretty expensive. So if you want a realy good tool I wouldn't get either the griz or the coot cause you would just wanna upgrade latter and that $500.00 will go a long ways towards the kind of grinder you realy want. One suggestion to raise more money fast is sell some of your wives things on e bay.........then after the divorce you will have more spendable cash.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Skilled

Ive been toying with this question as well. I started with a 1X30, then a craftsman 2X42, which I currently use but have problems with from time to time. I have been playing with the idea of selling a Joe Kious knife and a Paul Chen orchid Wki that I have and using the proceeds to buy a new higher end grinder. I figure ill get more out of the grinder than the knife and sword do me good just sitting around.....Tough call, though.....gonna sell a few more knives and see how those sales go before jumping in.

Another thing i really am factoring into this is the resale value. I havent seen many high end belt sanders lasting more than a few hours when put up for sale, so i don't consider the extra money really that much considering that regardless of use, if its maintained, i can get back 75% fairly easilly.....
Old 08-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Steel Addict

Single phase , sealed and the size 1 hp, 1750 revs. would do but iffin you realy wanna hog that metal off then at least 2 hp. the motor in the picture has capacitors. Anybody know wich grind is better for lawn mower blades, flat, hollow or convex? What would be the best steel...Imma leaning towards damascus, but....BTw wise choice on the grinder. best of luck on the kanife makin. Oh yeah bout the motor.....might be better to look around garage sales or the local paper. motors are heavy shipping cost adds to the price of that $100. 00 motor. i have found perectly good motors at garage sales for 10 to 20 bucks. look for a pump motor. i use my 12 hp lawn tractor motor to power mine.....i'm sorry, what did you say..I can't hear to good these days ,Chough . Speakin of gas motors another place to look iffin you have amish in your area....they take the electric motors off there power equipment and swap in gas motors...since they have no use for the electric motors they sell brand new motors for cheap.

Last edited by tmiller5087; 08-08-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
KMGonEbay(clickhere)

Watch it for resale value.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives