MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:45 PM

1084 questions

I'm having issues with some 1084 steel. Background: I can't forge because I live in a neighborhood, but I thought I would grind out some blades from carbon steel. Then I could at least heat treat the blades myself. Anyway, I cut the steel out with my bandsaw, then started to finish profiling the blade on my grinder. It throws sparks just like if you were grinding a file. Finally, I gave up (before igniting my garage) to come find out if i need to anneal it or something first. Is this just the way 1084 is? I tried filing it, and it's tough going, but it's not hardened (obviously, since I used my bandsaw on it).
Old 05-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
That's carbon or alloy steels...if you've only worked with stainless, there are major differences, the sparks while grinding being one of them. You'll also find that finishing a carbon/alloy blade is MUCH less work than a stainless blade. Of course I am assuming that you've worked only stainless, and this is your first time using carbon/alloy steel.

I have a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water hanging directly under my grinder that catches most of the sparks and grinding swarf. It not only catches all the junk, but it's also a good place to dunk hot blades while your grinding.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-30-2006, 08:55 PM

You assume correctly. I had to look up the word "swarf." That makes two things I learned today...some kind of record, I think. I gotta go steal the dish soap and move my water bucket. Thanks so much for the info.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Master

I keep a bucket beneath my grinder as well, and I can assure you, you don't want to drop a blade in that gunk. The detergent works wonders but it would be in your best interest to change it ever so often.

I work out of my garage too. The trick is to stop hammering as the sun goes down. Saves on neighbor relationships. When it comes time for heat treating and quenching the blade, think about using peanut oil to keep down the smell (and curiosity to what you are doing). Also, I offer free sharpening of kitchen knives to my neighbors and they appriciate that. Never let your space slow you down! Good luck.

Chris
Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the peanut oil tip. I'm still contemplating what to use--I keep having visions of some kind of Goddard's Goop in a giant conflaguration in my garage, flames reflected in the polish on my motorcycle. I'm gonna need a fire extinguisher...
Old 05-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Drunkenduck
Noise

Tito, you might want to check your noise ordances. I live in a townhouse project and I forge outside. The actual time that you spend pounding on steel is not all that great. Most of you work will still be done inside on grinders, etc. Even when I'm using my anvil, I heat the steel then only get a few blow with my hammer before I have to take another heat so it's not like I'm constantly pounding on steel.

Doug Lester
Old 05-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Hall of Famer

Tito, do you have a forge? Sounds as if you need to anneal the 1084 before you try anything else. If not, maybe you could build an inexpensive propane type, that wouldn't bother the neighbors, especially if they didn't know you had it in the gargage, and it's really none of their business. Anyway, anneal, put it in vermiculite overnight, and it'll grind much easier.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives